Lets talk throttle control

I did a search and couldn't find anything much. What I am after is more refined throttle control. I know these motors are made to run at a single speed so we have an uphill battle. I am running a 389 Champion. I hooked the throttle cable to the factory mount. The throttle gets harder to turn the further you turn it. And I can feel the governor fighting the cable. A delay in response. What I have done is order new driver springs for the TC to lower the engagement RPMS as I feel I don't need the higher RPMS with a bigger motor. Also will play with spring on the driven to fine tune it. Thinking the severe on and off response might be less. I know it will never have the same control as a trials bike, but looking to improve what I have. Of course first thought was to bypass the governor and straight to carb. Thinking I am smart enough not to over rev. Well I have two bad knees, an arm with scars, a short finger, and a divorce to prove I am not smart enough. So I am asking for advice here. Will rejetting the carb help? Any tricks to modding the governor or carb to lessen spring tension without giving up the rev limiter function?

I tried the new weaker springs in the driver pulley. It wanted to take off at idle. So went one old and one new spring, seems about right! Not sure about miss matched springs, but can't see any problems,,so far. Went for a ride and found the throttle control is much better not having to rev it so high. Still could use some improvement.

On my wife's bike I used a thumb throttle because I thought she would be less likely to whiskey throttle and it has very little resistance for her danty little hands might help

Are they using the UT2 type coil on the Champions yet? They're said to have a 4000RPM rev limiter, plus smoother low end from retarding to start, allowing advance as revs climb. I'm checking my 338 Champion and 302 Generac Hemi for the function as soon as my new mini-tach arrives. The indirect throttle deal is frustrating for an old fart with 40+ years of direct-control :)

Are they using the UT2 type coil on the Champions yet? They're said to have a 4000RPM rev limiter, plus smoother low end from retarding to start, allowing advance as revs climb. I'm checking my 338 Champion and 302 Generac Hemi for the function as soon as my new mini-tach arrives. The indirect throttle deal is frustrating for an old fart with 40+ years of direct-control :)
I have no idea if it has a rev limiter. Not sure even how to tell? A friend has a laser tach, maybe get him to measure the crank speed and ill try to over rev it? The bike really seems to have plenty of power. I spin the rear tire a lot. But I haven't been off road much yet to see how it pulls hills.