Like MiniBike History? Check this out!!

A few months ago I Found a Hound Dog Minibike.

It looks just like the one below.. I Had to store it at my Families farm until I can get some room up here.

Anyhow.....

I Got to looking at the Tag on the front of the fork plate.
It Says. "Dave Gratton and Sons.... San Dima's CA"

So What the Heck I say... Lets do a Google and see what comes up....

Well these guys Came up...... Grattan® -Fastener Distributor-Construction Fasteners

I shoot them a Email and this is what transpired.

"Hello, I am a avid Collector of Pre 1980 Minibikes. This week I came across a rather strange Square tube Minibike with a tag on the front Reading... "Hound Dog Dave Grattan San Dimas CA" Im am just wondering for Personal and Historical knowledge if this was made by Dave Gratton of the Dave Gratton and Sons I am contacting. It is a very unique bike and will definitely be a permanent part of my little basement collection. Please get back to me either way. Thanks Dennis"

"Hello!!

Yes you did contact the right place. I have forward this letter to Dave’s daughter, and someone will be in contact with you."

You Guys Interested yet?

This Isnt my Bike. Its the Same thing and I Dont have a pic handy. Mines red with the Metallic tan B&S 5hp.

Last edited:
"Hey that's great!! I Love it when I get a little piece of history like this! I look forward to her reply!
Take care and Thank you very much!
Dennis"

"Hi Dennis,

It is so great to hear from “Hound Dog” owners! Dave Grattan & Sons, Inc. is actually a Fastener Distributor, but back in the late sixties-early seventies my Dad (Dave Grattan) started this little side business. The mini-bike manufacturing was created for and run by my high school age brothers. They made the “Hound Dog” and it’s smaller version the “Hot Dog”. I’m thinking there was a dune buggy also. We would love to see a picture of your bike and know more about your collection and how you found our bike. And where are you located? One gentleman wrote to us from Oregon with his story. Also, if you ever are interested in selling the “Hound Dog” please contact us. There are five of us, eleven grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren and we only have one bike. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Christina Grattan Gohn"

"Christina,
I'm sending this from My phone hopefully it isn't all jumbled together.

I am very glad to hear back from you! I live in St Louis Mo and found the bike in a small town In Southern Mo at a Farm Auction. I am pretty excited about it.

My collection started at age 8 with a Atlas Minibike that was built here in St Louis in about 1968. It has been a hobby of mine ever since.

I am 33 and have had at 1 time over 75 running vintage bikes.
None of them worth much to anyone other than myself.

I have sort of a weakness for anything Fabricated by hand from the 60's and 70's. I am By trade a Machinist and also do Fabrication work . Its in my blood, My Father did it and so did his Father.

I am working on getting one of the smaller bikes like you talked about. It is also square tubing but has U shaped rear and Bottom sections. I will get some pics soon.

I have never heard of the buggy. It Sounds Great!

Will you please ask your family what brand and size engines came in both size bikes? I'm not sure if I would ever want to sell it But you never know.

If your family has any old pics of the operation or the bikes when they were new I would love a few copies of them. It means a lot to me to get to hear the story and history Behind the bikes..

Thanks so much!

Dennis Sinks"

"Dennis,
I'll see what I can find. If memory serves me right the Hound Dog had a Briggs & Stratton 5HP and the Hot Dog had a 3HP engine.

Chris"

"Christina,

That would be outstanding!
Thanks again for your time and effort into locating them for me.
I look forward to seeing them!
My address is as follows.
Dennis........."

A Few days later the Fedex truck shows up.
and drops of a Package........

Is it is 4 Original Brouchures of every model the Company ever made at the time!! Even the buggy! So back to the Email's

"Chris, I am so excited to get these brochures! They are fantastic! I wish I had all of these models in my little collection. Would you be willing to let me share these with members of www.oldminibikes.com? It is a website dedicated to the restoration and restifacation of all makes of vintage minibikes. I have been a member there for a few years. There are a few members there with Hound Dog minibikes! Even a few pictures of them are floating around there. Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me and for sending me these great brochures! This little stuff means as much to me as the bikes do. I am very greatful to have them. Let me know if it is ok with your Family to share them on the forum.Take care Dennis"

Last edited:
And then Finally Her Reply. Chris Is short for Christina btw.

"Dennis,

Glad to hear that you received the flyers. Sure, go ahead and share. I’m sure this is interesting for everyone.

Thanks for the website link… so very cool! I’ll pass it on to my brothers.

Chris"

Thats pretty Dang Cool Isn't it!!!

I have been tring to find a Hound dog for them in the classifieds.
If I Cannot find one for them I may just Make them one later down the road and send it to them using my original as the model.

Even though its square tubing... Its more complicated than you think. And Im pretty amazed at how strong it is!

I Will send Hent the Ad's this week via Email and he can put them in the database for us!!

Hey deezildennis, great story! Those e-mails you sent and received, keep them and copy them!!! When you remodel the mini, try to keep it original. See if you can find info from her brothers to see what exactly was on this mini. If you bring that back to "original" mint condition, and with that paperwork "the families e-mails to you", that mini would be worth a great deal! Just like on Barrett-Jackson, if something is original "stock" with a good paper trail it is worth $$$$$$$!!!!!! Nice find!:thumbsup:

Together we stand-Divided we fall. Mini's forever!

Good story and history. Most don't realize that minis were a side line for a lot of companies who dealt in other products. That's why I like hand built as well or better than restored bikes by mini-specific manufacturers. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

tomsprops

Hey Deezil.Those Pop Up out here from time to time on CL. I 'll let you know next time I see one .If it's close enough ,I'll go get it and ship it for ya.

JTG

Dennis, I have a Dave Grattan Hot Dog which I'm restoring. Currently the frame is at the powder coater but the entire project should be completed the second week in February. I'm located in Los Angeles and if any of the Grattan's have an interest in seeing the bike, I'll make it available. If you could forward me your Chris's email I'll send her an invitation. I also did some digging and have scanned copies of the original ads Dave placed in the November 1969 Mini Bike Guide. In that issue there is a two page feature story about the mini bike which was reviewed on Fox Studios set of Daniel Boone. I scanned everything and will make it available if you send me your email address. My email address is geigerjt@hotmail.com

PS: There is also a picture of Dave Grattan's son and Fess Parker riding a Hound Dog in the Mini Bike review. We shouldn't be allowed to have so much fun!!!

I Walked out of my Shop today and forgot the dang brochures on my bench in the envolope.

I Was thinking about them all day and right at the end of the day I remembered I was getting to use my bad ass Atlas snow blower when I got home. :)

I have Invited the family to this thread and to the site.
I should be able to get the brochures up tomarrow night.