Lil Indian Grand Series & Sabre Serial Numbers List

If you have or know of a Lil Indian Grand series mini bike (5000,6000,7000 ) or a Sabre Mini bike in any condition post the Id number and a pic of the bike on here If you can . The ID number can be found on the rear axle tab .

Serial # : 44191
Handle Bars : Fold down type
Foot Pegs : Rear
Wheels : Four Spoke Mag
Engine Plate : No Hole
Brake Caliper Bracket : Two hole style
Shocks : Mounted straight up
Engine ID Number : Not original engine

Last edited:

ruppking

Serial # : 30574
Handle Bars : bolt on
Wheels : solid
Brake Caliper Bracket : three hole style
Shocks : Mounted straight up
Engine ID Number : original engine- numbers removed
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2465.JPG

Posting these bikes for a friend , Nate (nds1968) at one time he was a Lil Indian hoarder ! lol :laugh:

( Yellow Bike )
Serial # 45405
Handle bars : Fold Down
Foot Pegs : Front
Wheels : Four Spoke Mags
Engine Plate : Hole In It
Brake Caliper Bracket : Two Hole
Shocks : Tilted
Engine ID # : Unknown
Jack Shaft : Two Speed

Last edited:
nds1968 (Nate) Grey Bike

Serial # 45904
Handle Bars : Fold Down
Wheels :Four Spoke Mags
Shocks : Straight Up
Engine ID # : Unknown
Jack Shaft : Two Speed

1969 Lil Indian 7000 as purchased many years ago.
Frame ID 46737
Mag wheels
2 speed
Fold down bars
1 pc. rear brake mounting bracket
front disc brake
Head light/brake light and batter box with all original mounting hardware
Briggs specific engine mounting plate

Sadly I just scrapped last week my original, probably a very early 68 frame. Which had the tubular chrome shocks & rear mounted foot pegs. Not the coil spring versions. Kept the front end and rear swing arm to use with the 69 frame. So no numbers.
Regards,
Joe 51

FYI to the Lil Indian Grand Series bikes.. On the rear swing arm there were a couple of different lower rear shock mount holes to adjust for a trail ride. So straight up might be just factory settings.
Regards,
Joe51

[MENTION=18286]manchester1[/MENTION] Karen's Lil Indian

Serial # : 45098
Handle Bars : Fold Down
Wheels : Four Spoke Mags
Shocks : Straight Up
Engine Id # : Unknown

If I remember correctly in Feb. of 1969 Lil Indian Co. ran out of the Briggs engines that there were using in there bikes. So frames had to be changed to handle the Tecumseh engines. Probably frame changes and engine plates were changed to accommodate the Tec engines. Yellow frame has the hole in the engine plate ( Tecumseh engine ) Grey Bike no hole in the engine plate ( Briggs engine )

Shocks Tilted .

Shocks straight up .

I originally was going to put a Tecumseh in this bike and then I realized it wouldn't fit with the front gas tank. I remember somebody else having the same problem. So I would say my bike needed the briggs with the tank in the rear. I have noticed some of these bikes with the motor plate back further.

That yellow bike I had was fun, would do wheelies no problem. The frames are different between the briggs and tecumseh. I know the handle bars weren't interchangeable between that yellow bike and the gray one I had. They were also shaped different, but the collars with the notches were a different thickness.

markus

Karen, is this old crust bucket you got from me many moons ago? Came out really nice if it was-nice save! :thumbsup:

I always found it interesting that the Grand series frame numbers never seem to fall in place with LI's recorded production numbers like the century series bikes most of the time do. They always seem higher/later numbers than what they "should" be far as engine at least....Briggs pulled out in early '69 according to LI but I have to wonder if either LI was sitting on a lot of 5hp engines, using up pre made parts, or offering kit versions with either plate since engines would not interchange for awhile after the fact, or they simply numbered them differently. Either way it comes out strange because the smaller frame bike changes seem to flow with the numbers pretty well for the most part.