Longer bolt for Rear Axle on Bt200x

Hello,
I welded up a rear rack for the Coleman yesterday, and the rear axle bolt (obviously) is too short.
I could buy a $45 bolt from the Coleman Rack, but i don't want to spend over $20.
I checked McMaster-Carr, Grainger, Amazon, Lowes, and some other companies for a 5/8 x 14 inch bolt, but i can't seem to find it.
I'm sure some of you guys welded your own rear racks, so there has got to be a cheaper bolt...
Would it be hard on the bearings to buy a longer, fully threaded bolt, then cut it to the correct length?
I also considered welding on another bolt, to lengthen the existing bolt, but i don't have the skill, or the welder to do this.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe

Sheesh... that should have been easy...! I'm still a newbie in the field! :rolleyes:
Thanks for your help Michael!
Gabe

Last edited:
Post a picture of your rack. I’d like to see it. Been thinking of something to do for my daughters bt200x.
I'm welding some more stuff on it this afternoon, and I still need to paint it. I'll post it this evening.
This is my first welding fabrication project.

Last edited:
5/8 = .625

Sounds metric???

Do you have a shorter 5/8(.625) bolt that you could confirm the fit thru the bearings with B4 buying the 14" off FleaBay?
Brand new stock is 14mm, or 0.55 inches.
I can't find a 14mm x355 bolt anywhere.
Think i could pull off a 1/2-11x14 bolt?

I could also sand it down a little to make it fit. $11 gamble.

I'm believing 1/2" bolt will be a sloppy fit.

Do you have a shorter 5/8" & 1/2" bolt to check fit with?
I just went back to the shop, tried out a whole buncha bolts, only an 11/16th fits.
I am giving up the idea of a longer axle mount. I can't find an 11/16thx 14 inch bolt. o_O

I am gonna try to fix it to the frame somehow. Anybody have a suggestion on that?

You just need a CT200U axle. Its' 15mm and 333mm long. I had a quick look for one. There's a supplier with "warehouse" in it's name that has one for $14.
I just checked the "warehouse store". The OVERALL length is 333 mm, but its Ct200u axle is only 320 mm (or 12.5984 inches) from under the hex head to the end of the threads, nearly the same as my stock axle. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
I'm gonna try to mount it to the frame, somehow.

Just so you don't re visit the idea of using all tread on the axel don't do it will eat the bearings in 15 minutes

Are you trying to go through the tubing what if you used flat metal a notch it out for the axel
Trying to picture why the longer bolt I know mine had slack adjusters on it but once its tight won't interfere with them not sure

Again don't use all thread

Respectfully, you have a welder and can cut and fabricate obviously. Why not make yourself some frame brackets and weld them on? Using channel, of angle, you could weld attachment points for your rack to the rear "handle" or whatever that top frame piece is called. Next, change the angle of your supports by doing two things: First, come forward from the rack a couple of inches. True, you lose some of the "fulcrum" strength, but not enough to worry about. Next, have those supports come up to the frame at about where the rear fender is. Use a 3/8 grade five bolt to secure at all four mounting tabs. This would simplify your mounting challenges, and would allow your rack to be removed if desired.

Rack.jpg

Respectfully, you have a welder and can cut and fabricate obviously. Why not make yourself some frame brackets and weld them on? Using channel, of angle, you could weld attachment points for your rack to the rear "handle" or whatever that top frame piece is called. Next, change the angle of your supports by doing two things: First, come forward from the rack a couple of inches. True, you lose some of the "fulcrum" strength, but not enough to worry about. Next, have those supports come up to the frame at about where the rear fender is. Use a 3/8 grade five bolt to secure at all four mounting tabs. This would simplify your mounting challenges, and would allow your rack to be removed if desired.
Why not weld directly to the frame?... It just kinda scares me. I am capable of welding it, but I don't know enough yet to not mess up the actual frame.
I may try welding tabs to the frame, or i might go with temporary C-clamp tabs around the tubes.
I am only a few weeks into welding, so i want all of this to be reversable.
Thanks everyone for your help.

You can always practice. Bare metal the area, and use a circular motion as you weld, making "curly-ques" I am also a novice welder, or "home welder" and I have my good days and my bad days with welding. (And everything else, come to think of it) :) One thing I always remember- and it was a guy who used to be on here who said it: "You can always cut it off and start over again." Good luck no matter what you decide.