Looking for a long lost friend. Or at least a clone!

Hey all. My first post to this forum. I am looking for a mini bike like my very first bike. It was a two stroke, two speed commercial built bike. 6-8 inch wheels chain drive automatic. The only thing I remember, other than how much fun this thing was is the name stamped on the points side of the engine case. It had the name "Saxonette" in raised aluminum lettering. Oh, should mention it was of course 50cc.
By the time I got it, the kick panel was gone, and the thing didn have an e start. I had to start it with a drill and socket to the flywheel nut.
I dang sure ain't a rich man, but can be persuaded to buy or trade for a similar bike. I deal with scooters mainly but......Ahhh, a man's first love....

Last edited:
Hey all. My first post to this forum. I am looking for a mini bike like my very first bike. It was a two stroke, two speed commercial built bike. 6-8 inch wheels chain drive automatic. The only thing I remember, other than how much fun this thing was is the name stamped on the points side of the engine case. It had the name "Saxonette" in raised aluminum lettering. Oh, should mention it was of course 50cc.
By the time I got it, the kick panel was gone, and the thing didn have an e start. I had to start it with a drill and socket to the flywheel nut.
I dang sure ain't a rich man, but can be persuaded to buy or trade for a similar bike. I deal with scooters mainly but......Ahhh, a man's first love....
Maybe an Arctic Cat? The Coleman Sport Bike had a Saxonette but has 10" wheels. What color was it? Look at my Avatar to the left. That is a Coleman Sport Bike. Also look at the photo gallery of the site and look up an Arctic Cat.

Last edited:
It was red. Had a single piece engine transmission unit. Can't see ur avatar clearly I flash burned my eyes today while trying g to weld some pipes..

From what I can find here in a QUICK search, it may have been, aSachs or a Cat, but I swear the cylinder was different..... The carb was mounted different. Of course this bike had a hard life and was so very from original.

The only red one that I know of with a Sachs is a Coleman 5.30 but it was not an automatic. The Coleman 2.40 was a two speed auto with a Sachs. Both have 10 inch wheels. Some of the Arctic Cats had the smaller wheels.
1971-coleman-sport-40-mini-bike-pit_1_d02a1d5aab3a4bc28aa51c49c9564694.jpg DSCN0471.JPG download (2).jpg _BPFTZQg_Wk___KGrHgoOKiwEjlLmDn3YBJ_6BBgw2Q___12.jpg

Idk. I only remember the Saxonette logo on the engine case, the two speed being built in and tiny tires. Had tons of low end torque and the exhaust was more like a regular cycle. I wish I had some pics but they all burned wih the old house..
It was red when I had it, but may have been painted. The gas tank was gone, and we had taken an old plastic tec gas tank and zip tied it to the bars!! LOL!!

From what I can find/remember it's most similar to the 70-71 ish Artic Cat Whisker. But heavily modified. Tiny wheels custom routed exhaust and heatshield. No recoil but a busted kick mech and most assuredly a two speed. If anyone happens to find one of these in KY PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Ding Ding

Arctic Cat Whisker was available in 1971 with the 6" wheels. Seat would be all black standard, but was an option with leopard/cheetah print. Would have had recoil and no kick start. Frame would have been a rigid rear with no suspension. No headlight or tail light. Yellow fuel tank.

1972 Arctic Cat Whisker was the same as above but available with rear swing-arm suspension.

1. Teardrop tank or angular? (yours was missing, too bad)
2. Spoked chrome wheels or small aluminum mags with fat tires?
3. Leopard print on the seat (top/sides/or neither)?
4. Rear shocks or hard tail?
5. Red frame?
6. Headlight or at least headlight brackets?

My gut feeling is a repainted 71 Prowler or 72 Whisker (the last 2 smudvapor posted). Since the original tank was missing, the suspension, small wheels, seat and exhaust are your best clues.

The most common ones that used the Saxonette were Arctic Cat, Coleman and the Fox Sundowner. Arctic, however, was the only one of those 3 with small diameter wheels. If yours was a hard tail, it was a 71 Whisker. If sprung rear end, either a 70 Ssscat-I, 71 Prowler or 72 Whisker. The original seat, presence of a headlight/taillight and subtle frame differences would determine which one.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As Ding Ding pointed out, there was never a kick start on a Saxonette, but the recoil was fragile. They were often missing. A complete recoil is worth 4-5 times what the rest of the engine is worth. The Saxonette is a very old, reliable and unchanged design and was originally used in European mopeds well before Arctic adopted it in 1970. The round silver plugs on the upper rear of the engine halves were where the pedal shaft came out.

There are plenty of reasonable 71-72 full suspension Saxonette Arctic rollers available. The hard tail 71 Whisker is MUCH harder to find. You can easily find all the parts to build a fully sprung Arctic from the ground up, but not on a tight budget, especially the unobtanium recoil.

You can do without the recoil using a rope around the original recoil drum or your poor man's electric start. Just remember that the engine runs counter clockwise.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk