Magnetron question

Ok so just installed a new Briggs magnetron and kill switch . Everything works fine except switch won’t shut it down. It’s a one wire kill switch attached to bars and other end to tab on coil. Was I supposed to use the ground wire that comes with it ?

Ok well I tried that and it doesn’t work. Just grounds itself out . With these one wore kill switches, are they supposed to be mounted to bare metal? So it’s grounded where it mounts.

River Rat Ron

Last edited:
Ok , so I think the problem is the powdercoated handlebars. I assume i just grind away some of the coating and I’ll be good?

River Rat Ron

Ok , so I think the problem is the powdercoated handlebars. I assume i just grind away some of the coating and I’ll be good?
Bingo…..don’t grind away much and mess up an expensive powder coat, but yes any contact with metal will work as long as nothing from the bars to the frame is isolated in rubber. Almost suggest getting a two wire kill over grinding on a sweet powder coat Or run a second wire under the switch down to metal

Ok. The motor has rubber isolators as part of the mount . The bushings in the frame for fork are delrin. Is that ok?
So I can also run a wire from switch to anywhere on motor for a ground?

Last edited:

River Rat Ron

Ok. The motor has rubber isolators as part of the mount . The bushings in the frame for fork are delrin. Is that ok?
So I can also run a wire from switch to anywhere on motor for a ground?
That’s correct…..that is the wire must touch the part of the switch that grounds. Then any available bolt on motor since it is isolated in various places via motor mounts, bushings etc… Had you been able to ground thru the bars the connection thru the bearings etc…isn’t ideal

River Rat Ron

Yes if that’s the part of the switch that grounds, it may have a contact pad under the switch. Once again a multimeter to check switch for continuity will confirm which part of the switch is the ground contact. No apology necessary that’s how I learned by asking and reading..hope it helps.

Yeah. That seems like the best option. Otherwise I’d be grinding to bare metal so the metal clamp of switch could be in contact with it.

The issue i had with the last 1 wire button style kill switch, was that had to hold the button down for longer than i wanted to in order to kill the engine. With an on/off style switch, it just cuts the engine off right away.
Glad you got it working!