Mailing a Cat Duster MX -a tutorial

image.jpeg
Just took this big ol' package up to Fed-ex to send to mini bike mayhem in California.
I really thought it would be more difficult than this! I wouldn't hesitate now, to send another one. Especially like this without the engine.
I first measured the frame of the Duster after breaking it down to the bare frame with even the forks removed. 36.5". I attempted to find a flat screen tv box or a bicycle box. I couldn't find one wide enough.the Duster is about 10" wide at the rear axle.
I then went to my local packaging store and got this box, 38"x33x12, for 17.00. Thing was heavy- duty too.
I brought it home, assembled it using cheap duct tape and just started loading it. I put the bare frame in first then the front tire inside the frame, then I boxed the rear tire and sprocket with bagged chain in a box that fit snugly in the box that will also keep it from crushing. USPS priority boxes seem to work well about, 12" wide! I then put the fenders and other miscellaneous in a box after bagging and cushioning them, duct taped it and sat it on the seat rails on the frame. I then covered the handle bars and front fork with plastic and taped them up. Everything was fit into the box with room to spare. I used empty 12" wide boxes at the top to fill the main box. Ended up weighing in at 70 pounds.
A lot more cheap duct tape, and it was ready to ship. I took it to fedEx and shipped it this morning from Roanoke, Va to California, with insurance,for right at 125.00.
Hope this helps generate more sells on the OldMiniBikes!

I really thought it would be more difficult than this! I wouldn't hesitate now, to send another one. Especially like this without the engine.
Yep. Thanks for posting this. Some of us have been advocating the same thing. CarplayLB helped me out by sending most of a Powell to me like this. I did some work on it, and sold it here, "SHIPPED" for far less than one would expect. Had I not offered shipping, I would not have sold it.

By the way, 70 LBS was your max. if going to a private address. If you get a buyer who can supply a business address, you are allowed more weight, at less cost. That Powell ended up being 80 LBS, but the buyer gave me a business address so I didn't have to separate it.

Thanks again for the post, and good job on the sale.

CarPlayLB

Nice write up! Thanks for that!
I am surprised they let you ship it with duct tape though. Most carriers won't accept packages like that!

The only carrier I've had be jerks about different tape is the USPS. You would think that as bad of shape as they are in ,they'd take it in paper bags.
Fedex are really friendly and good people to work with around here. UPS too. I worked there for awhile a few years back, and apparently they'll take about anything too.
I'm kind of wondering if you couldn't ship a bare frame maybe with just a tag or label attached?
I've used usps priority tape on packages and sent it through UPS easily.

I also never heard anything about the 70 lb. rule. The shipper that I bought the box from said it was 150 lbs.. You sure that wasn't the complainers at USPS? They actually act like they're doing you a favor to wait on you at my local post office.

I also never heard anything about the 70 lb. rule. The shipper that I bought the box from said it was 150 lbs.. You sure that wasn't the complainers at USPS? They actually act like they're doing you a favor to wait on you at my local post office.
Fed EX (they are who I use as well) Home Delivery Service max. is 70 LBS. (and there are size restrictions)

Ground service is 150 pounds, and from what the clerk told me, is only available to a business.

Also, I have shipped frame and tires with just plastic wrap and clear tape, no box. Really like using Fed Ex. Easy.

Last edited:

markus

Next time try Uhaul wardrobe boxes, cheap, heavy duty, and decent sizing for mini bike frames, can even send duster choppers and big bikes like that no problemo :thumbsup: I am actually Heading out the door right now to pick up a wardrobe box at Uhaul for the bike I just sold!

Next time try Uhaul wardrobe boxes, cheap, heavy duty, and decent sizing for mini bike frames, can even send duster choppers and big bikes like that no problemo :thumbsup: I am actually Heading out the door right now to pick up a wardrobe box at Uhaul for the bike I just sold!
That is great advice. I've been sweating finding the right box, and the UPS store wants an arm and a leg for a box. (Not in to dumpster diving) Those wardrobe boxes are $11.95 on line. Thanks for that!

Do they exceed the Fed Ex/UPS shipping dimensions, or do you cut them down to size?

I actually looked at the wardrobe box at the place I bought the box I used. It was a little flimsier and more square. The Duster is a pretty big mini I guess. At least it seemed to me like it was made for an adult or teen to ride? I'd hate to try to mail the Super Bronc!

Havasu,I actually used Fed Ex ground. Supposedly 4 working days delivery.I didn't even realize they have what's called home delivery.
I guess if you go in ignorant they just let you slide.

Hey mini bike mayhem, lets see pictures of the box when it get there please ? I have shipped some and they look great when the leave and have been told they are a mess when they get there.
THANKS

markus

That is great advice. I've been sweating finding the right box, and the UPS store wants an arm and a leg for a box. (Not in to dumpster diving) Those wardrobe boxes are $11.95 on line. Thanks for that!

Do they exceed the Fed Ex/UPS shipping dimensions, or do you cut them down to size?
They are actually approved for shipping, that one reason I will use them on the higher end more finished bikes nowadays, they will still do whatever it takes to deny claims but its one more thing in my favor if there was ever a need. The box really isnt an issue too much anyway, I give them the "Zoltan bubble suit" treatment and stretch wrap everything together that I can. You can actually just sent them that way, I have got them that way but I recommend heavy duty wide stretch wrapping. I also still like to use the double box deal, there has only been one real issue and I ship alot of bikes, that was one with some really large funky axle mounts that I sent to Karen. one got a bent in shipment, but thankfully it was fixable. But that was shipping the frame with engine still in it so it was pretty heavy on its own.

I still do most of them this way and you really do have watch your dimensions to get it affordable:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/82200-bike-shipping-tips.html

My 'tutorial' was kinda tongue in cheek, but damn Markus that's professional! I wish I had seen that before I started. Good job as usual.

I can do that the box looks pretty good now so when it arrives I will snap some pictures and post them up good idea Kerry the last box I got was in horrible shape but that was through greyhound but the bike made it so hey it works for me, again thank you Kerry I really appreciate you shipping this bike and thanks OldMiniBikes

Yep. Thanks for posting this. Some of us have been advocating the same thing. CarplayLB helped me out by sending most of a Powell to me like this. I did some work on it, and sold it here, "SHIPPED" for far less than one would expect. Had I not offered shipping, I would not have sold it.

Dave you would of sold that Powell no problem without shipping I was already to drive up there and get it , had it not already sold my rule is if i can drive to get it i will and you are only about 250miles from me well worth the trip

Heck yea it showed up in great shape thank you OldMiniBikes I'm struggling to load pictures but if you pictures the box in the back of that Toyota pickup in my front room that's what the picture looks like