Manco Thunderbird project

I picked this up a month or so ago and took it for one ride, then tore it apart. The previous owners grandfather said he couldn't keep a chain on it. I also noticed a repair to the main frame tube where it meets the cross bar/foot peg bar. I assumed it flexed from the new 212 on it and broke there. I don't trust my booger welds too much and haven't really had the chance to pick that skill up yet. So I took it to a weldin shop in town and had him box the engine mount and replace the cross bar/foot peg bar with 7/8" thick wall tube. That should cure that problem. Future plans include a re-work of the seat bracket to eliminate side to side sway, front/rear hydraulic brakes, and plan to beef the 212 up pretty well. I already got a torq a vertor for it, 15t front sprocket and a 54t rear sprocket. that should tame the notorious thunderbird wheelies and give me some good top end. I am curious to see if the bone stock (as far as I know) 212 can pull 210 lbs of me around with that high of a gear. I want to keep the bike fairly stock lookin but with some mild tweaks here and there. Although I do have a cafe racer picture in my head of the bike that may happen as well, have to see on that one I guess. For now I'll probably rattle can the repaired areas, slap it back together and just ride it a bit while I see what I want to change on the bike. I didn't take any pics when I first got it but here's some from the for sale ad and also of the repaired area. I need to get busy with a grinder and clean the repaired area up and smooth it out a bit. This model Thunderbird did not have the seat shocks, from what I gather that means it's a early version (87/88ish)? However the brackets are there and when you take out the solid bars, the shocks go right in place. It had some sort of homemade seat on it but that will change here soon. So far I got the shocks, NOS number plate, a good used t-bird tank and a few other odds and ends. I plan to have some decals made for it that mirror the factory font/colors/style for the sides of the tank, tav cover and fenders. I need to find some pics of the original gas tank decals if anyone has one of these bikes. I usually go low buck on things but I really like this bike, so might go a little hog wild.

tbird2.jpg tbird1.jpg IMG_20190617_192956[1].jpg IMG_20190617_193002[1].jpg . IMG_20190617_193015[1].jpg

Looks sharp man. I am still refinin the frame here and there. Tryin to get all the slop out of things

IMG_20190625_144641.jpg
started to fill the nicks and gouges in the gas tank with the black plastic weld epoxy.

IMG_20190625_144716.jpg
IMG_20190625_144741.jpg
IMG_20190625_144805.jpg
forks a little tweaked but a little press time should fix that.

IMG_20190625_144826.jpg
IMG_20190625_144854.jpg
Made a number plate backer/reinforcement out of some scrap diamond plate aluminum i had layin around so it doesn't warp and break like I assume the originals all did.

IMG_20190625_145242.jpg
original springs vs the OldMiniBikes replacements. Now if i can just figger out how to get the new 12" rear chrome shocks apart, assume they must unscrew but no luck with that so far, odd.

IMG_20190625_145429.jpg
lower fork slop, will drill out to 3/4" and install a bronze 5/8" id bushin to to tighten that up. may do the same to the rear as well if there is enough meat to work with. All hardware on this bike will be stainless steel as well.

Looking really good! Always like the look of the Thunderbirds. :D
thanks, tryin to figger ways to run hydraulic front/rear disc brakes with the stock wheels today. takes a lot of time lookin online t ofind complete setups from other bikes, measure spacers, rotors etc etc etc be glad when i get all the parts sourced and can start to put it back together. I bought a 14.5 hp kawasaki v twin out of a john deere gator recent;y but have to pick it up at my buddies about 3 hours away. if it fits this frame, might have to slide that on this frame.

scrub brake is history and what was left of the chain guard bracket. now to see if i get a brake of some sort on it before I put it back together for a ride lol
IMG_20190703_194851.jpg

well another t bird followed me home, a later model version. like to get a gas tank like mine and do this up for the wife. lots of pink/white and chrome
. IMG_20190709_203249.jpg
IMG_20190709_203240.jpg

Looks sharp man. I am still refinin the frame here and there. Tryin to get all the slop out of things

View attachment 246290
started to fill the nicks and gouges in the gas tank with the black plastic weld epoxy.

View attachment 246291
View attachment 246292
View attachment 246293
forks a little tweaked but a little press time should fix that.

View attachment 246294
View attachment 246295
Made a number plate backer/reinforcement out of some scrap diamond plate aluminum i had layin around so it doesn't warp and break like I assume the originals all did.

View attachment 246296
original springs vs the OldMiniBikes replacements. Now if i can just figger out how to get the new 12" rear chrome shocks apart, assume they must unscrew but no luck with that so far, odd.

View attachment 246297
lower fork slop, will drill out to 3/4" and install a bronze 5/8" id bushin to to tighten that up. may do the same to the rear as well if there is enough meat to work with. All hardware on this bike will be stainless steel as well.
They take a bit of haggling, but it can be done. I powder coated mine 6E84AE00-57D2-4E87-A675-AB7242E7B6C9.jpeg

Attachments

Your thread inspired me. I picked a thunderbird up today. Did your 5/8 bushing idea in the front forks work out well? Mine has the typical slop as well.

Can you share a link for the replacement front springs youbused from OldMiniBikes? That would be helpful.

For the rear shocks did you use the gps chrome version or something else?

One other thing...has anyone found handlebar risers instead of the u-bolts? I know kartfab had risers on his but no idea which ones. I want to put some risers and taller handlebars on this bike.

Thanks for the inspiration and plowing the way!!!

The green bike looks awesome as well.