Mark G's Cat Dominator Re-do

45t

Very Nice!

Awesome Dominator Mark!

I guess my days are over geting those rare Cat parts from you at Jefferson. :censure: :laugh:

I do know where there is a nice set of original tires and NOS Grand turismo grips that would work perfect on that Cat. :wink:

Hey Mark, I was noticing the throttle on your bike appears to have black parts. Are they plastic and if so, were these original? My Slingshot had what I thought to be the original grips and throttle but the throttle parts were black plastic and kind of junky. Mine were broken and taped back together...LOL! Anyway, just wanted to know about yours since it seems to be all original like mine was.

Thanks, AJ

Cat used the throttle and grips called "Gran Turismo" and from what I have seen they are pretty specific to the cat line.

I talked with Dave Liberton about them recently and he thinks that cat was actually making them in house but I'm not real sure about that as Gran Turismo makes/made grips etc for resale, you just never see the cat throttle on anything. He had some NOS listed recently but ran out and was sending out typical chrome metal assy's instead :facepalm: He told me he was going to dig around in his inventory he thinks he has some still but just does not know where and if he found any he would let me know. He bought out cat and others inventories as they went out back in the 70's, from talking to him though it sounds like all the "Important" stuff is long gone and he just has oddball things left over.

heres what they look like (off a cat 350ss I had, of course now owned by Derek :laugh:)

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Thanks for the notes Markus! That is exactly what mine looks like. It's a bummer that they are plastic though, I'm imagining that a lot of them broke. The grip itself doesn't seem to be anything special. I have some NOS from the day that appear to be the same in all aspects and I've seen a couple variations on them.
the grips are actually specific, they have the Gran Turismo cast into them as well, Those I have seen sold by themselves but again not on a very regular basis.
Awesome Dominator Mark!

I guess my days are over geting those rare Cat parts from you at Jefferson. :censure: :laugh:

I do know where there is a nice set of original tires and NOS Grand turismo grips that would work perfect on that Cat. :wink:
I have a NOS set of the Gran Turismo grips but those are set aside for the Eliminator. The Dominator has the original ribbed plastic throttle like the one Markus posted (also broken, but I'll fix it:thumbsup:). Don't worry Mitch, I usually have something you need. I've got a couple tricks up my sleeve for the tires too:wink:

It's a gas tank....but rest assured if there was a Cat lunch box out there, I would buy it !!!

Alright, back on to the topic of Marks Dominator :hammer::laugh:

First step is dis-assembly. I modified an el-cheapo caulk gun, and chucked the shock in to compress the spring:

Then I used my hand dandy strap wrench to spin out the plastic insert on the bottom.A few weeks before I tore into this bike I sprayed these down with some PB Blaster to help me knock em loose:thumbsup::

After I spun off the lowers there is a small roll pin in the end of the shaft, drive it out and the shock comes apart:

Next was pretty straight forward. I soaked the springs and cups in some evaporust, and polished the lowers, top ends and shafts. I straightened out the bent cups on the right shock, but I found something interesting on the left one. At one time the chain had snapped on this bike and slapped the shock from top to bottom and left a perfect chain tattoo the whole length of the shock. It was so dirty I didn't even see it until I cleaned them up. I decided to leave it, as it shows that this bike is actually "used". Kind of like a badge of honor:laugh: I could have polished the marks out, but I'm just "cleaning" this bike up, not restoring it.
After a good bath and a polish, all lubed up and ready to go back on the bike:thumbsup::

Chain rash:

buckeye

Wow Mark. Those turned out awesome.

You have any more secrets? That is a cool tip using the caulking gun.
What do you do to polish them that nice? Little ol man setting in the barn, wax on, wax off??:thumbsup:

Wow Mark. Those turned out awesome.

You have any more secrets? That is a cool tip using the caulking gun.
What do you do to polish them that nice? Little ol man setting in the barn, wax on, wax off??:thumbsup:

I've got lot's of secrets:wink:, and I'm not some little old man:no:

Wow, Mark...Those shocks came out great! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sweet job of the shocks :thumbsup:

Caulking gun was clever:detective:
Thanks guys. One thing I forgot to mention with the caulk gun, make sure you wrap some tape or a zip tie around the spring to hold it in. The first one I did let go and shot shock parts clear across the room:blink:

markus

Those look great, as many shocks as I redo I still havent come across a set of those to do yet. Those have the one piece rubbers? I'm doing a funky set of french made shocks with eyelet like those, they were a pain to press the rubbers out of, not looking forward to putting them back in :doah:

Thanks to your pics of the chain slap I know know what those spots are from, I am redoing a set of sebacs that I bought off jamie72 also from a cat, one bottom has about 4 of those dots in a row like that and I thought it may have been factory blemish or something, Its not as revealing of a line like on yours and didn't hit the cups or springs so I could not figure it out, I'm used to seeing where the chain pracitally wearing holes through the side of the lowers :cursing:

Those look great, as many shocks as I redo I still havent come across a set of those to do yet. Those have the one piece rubbers? I'm doing a funky set of french made shocks with eyelet like those, they were a pain to press the rubbers out of, not looking forward to putting them back in :doah:

Thanks to your pics of the chain slap I know know what those spots are from, I am redoing a set of sebacs that I bought off jamie72 also from a cat, one bottom has about 4 of those dots in a row like that and I thought it may have been factory blemish or something, Its not as revealing of a line like on yours and didn't hit the cups or springs so I could not figure it out, I'm used to seeing where the chain pracitally wearing holes through the side of the lowers :cursing:
They use the tapered rubbers like the Sebacs, I wasn't sure at first so I was a little nervous taking them apart.
Once I had the left shock back on the bike it's clear the chain came flying off at speed, I know what you mean about the lowers getting ground down, seen too many like that also:doah:

Did some work on the fenders, first after bath and a soak in some evaporust:

The rear only had a single bow in the back lip that was easy to bend back by hand. The front was all bent with what looked like pliers or something:doah:. I pounded it back into rough shape, but I didn't go too far because I don't ant to re-chrome anything on this bike and it was starting to chip.
Far from perfect, but much better than before: