Massaging a bit more power out of a 3.5hp??

Whats the best way to massage just a bit more power out of a 3.5?? Id really just like 4 hp or so. got alittle 3.5hp side pooper on my toyoco(thanks again richs). I dont want to do anything too radical. Starts like a dream(first pull this evening while working on it):thumbsup:

It should have plenty of top end already with the current gearing and large tires but id just like a bit more. Gonna fiddle with the governor a bit for a few more rpms. that :censure: thing just limits it to dang much:hammer:

advance the timing a bit?

any suggestions??

Being its a side popper it probably a Tecumseh, I would Clean up the ports and make a header. should help it a little.

Last edited:
ok! ill look into the head, and get out the dremel!!

fiddled with the governor today. think i might put it back......

I dont have a chain yet so i didnt ride it but just sitting there and reving the engine, it screamed past where it topped before and kept going. i let off pretty quick. Noob at this.... lol. Its gonna be a fun bike!! cant wait for alittle :scooter:

oldfatguy

a 3.5 horse will surprise you, they make some decent power especially if you run a jack shaft. Be careful revving that engine like that it could throw the rod. It is fine under a load but once it tops out and gets to free spin there is a chance that it will blow. I don't run governors on any of my mini bikes but I know when to ease off the throttle and not over rev it.

i dont have any way of measuring. its high. i didnt remove it just did the cheater spring idea. might just completely remove it. but id have to take it apart to do that. and dont worry i just gave it a quick rev to see if the gov was higher. it is!

this little engine is suprising. makes alot of power. cant wait till its done. the bikes large gas tank is gonna make for alot of fun.

Last edited:
holds off the gov from limiting it so soon, i believe. quick search will help!!

mine is just held more to the left.

Last edited: