Massimo/MudStar MB200S review/ugrades

LIVIT

Received it late this afternoon. No shipping damage I've come across so far. No assembly instructions, not a problem for me. Mine did come with a 7.5hp made by Yamaha owned subsidiary company. Have not run engine yet. I'm tearing it all down and putting it back together, just too make sure there is no issues. The throttle is very smooth, way better than my CT200U-EX stock was. I'm about 6' 230lbs, bike has a very comfortable feel too it, shocks felt good. Have not found any bad welds so far, frame is solid and even has some extra support gussets. When I first seen that the name of tires had "Junk" in it, I thought, here we go ! The tires are the first thing, that I could tell were not the best. Plenty of tire clearance if you want to go too a larger tire. After getting it assembled, my first thought was that it looks like a mega moto 212 with full suspension.

I had read reviews, where they were complaining about frame clearance from oil fill. I don't see any problem with that at all, there is plenty of room. There is a lot more engine to frame clearance than my CT200U has. This is for sure not just a CT200 with a swingarm ! Headlight appears to be Led. Fenders are the cheap brittle plastic style, sure they won't last long. Rear chain guard is also plastic. Rear shocks are ok, I'm sure I'll be replacing them eventually. Rear shock mounts are very solid.

If you would like pictures of a particular area or have questions, just ask. While I'm doing upgrades, if you see something I should be doing different please speak up ! I'm going to work with the 7.5hp it came with. If I don't like it, I will be getting a Wildcat 223 for it. Current upgrade plans are: TAV, Header/Muffler, Breather.

Attachments

Received it late this afternoon. No shipping damage I've come across so far. No assembly instructions, not a problem for me. Mine did come with a 7.5hp made by Yamaha owned subsidiary company. Have not run engine yet. I'm tearing it all down and putting it back together, just too make sure there is no issues. The throttle is very smooth, way better than my CT200U-EX stock was. I'm about 6' 230lbs, bike has a very comfortable feel too it, shocks felt good. Have not found any bad welds so far, frame is solid and even has some extra support gussets. When I first seen that the name of tires had "Junk" in it, I thought, here we go ! The tires are the first thing, that I could tell were not the best. Plenty of tire clearance if you want to go too a larger tire. After getting it assembled, my first thought was that it looks like a mega moto 212 with full suspension.

I had read reviews, where they were complaining about frame clearance from oil fill. I don't see any problem with that at all, there is plenty of room. There is a lot more engine to frame clearance than my CT200U has. This is for sure not just a CT200 with a swingarm ! Headlight appears to be Led. Fenders are the cheap brittle plastic style, sure they won't last long. Rear chain guard is also plastic. Rear shocks are ok, I'm sure I'll be replacing them eventually. Rear shock mounts are very solid.

If you would like pictures of a particular area or have questions, just ask. While I'm doing upgrades, if you see something I should be doing different please speak up ! I'm going to work with the 7.5hp it came with. If I don't like it, I will be getting a Wildcat 223 for it. Current upgrade plans are: TAV, Header/Muffler, Breather.
Junk in the name of the tires ? That’s hilarious
Good luck with your new ride.

panchothedog

You are reading it all wrong. They are JUN KATS. You know, the ones that fight with the Alley Cats in the middle of the night. On a more serious note,
Great looking bike. Is there a torque converter under that guard, or just a clutch ?

LIVIT

You are reading it all wrong. They are JUN KATS. You know, the ones that fight with the Alley Cats in the middle of the night. On a more serious note,
Great looking bike. Is there a torque converter under that guard, or just a clutch ?
"JunKats" Ha! I like that ! Clutch and jackshaft. Some of the ads do say CVT. I agree brother, I also think it looks good.

LIVIT

Today, weather permitting. I'm going to do a partial engine tear down. Drain oil, put in some break in oil with ZDDP. Try to find what size cc the engine actually is. Put on the faux gas tank. Then break engine in and go for a ride. I will post more detail pics.

LIVIT

Full suspension, like that! Where did you get that?
They're available under 2 names. Massimo MB200S or MudStar 200. Amazon has them, Tractor supply and Blains had them on sale for $600. TSC is charging like $250 for shipping to store. Walmart has them for $750 shipped, best deal I found. They advertise 6.5hp, but many are coming with 7.5HP. Not sure the cc yet.

SAS289

Easy way is to look at the numbers stamped on the block. If you see a 168 you have a 196 (68mm bore block). 170 would be a 212 with its 70mm bore block. 208 also has a 70mm bore.

LIVIT

I finished my re-assembly this morning. I surprising found no issues. I did drain the oil it came with in put in some break in oil with ZDDP (Zinc) . Refilling the oil was no issue. The Throttle limiting (WOT) screw is not soldered, easy to adjust WOT. I did not touch the governor spring yet, want to give it a few good break in runs first. Did not remove carb bowl and check the jet and see if it was made too not be removed. I was questioning if it was actually a 7.5hp, but after riding it, even with the clutch, throttle response was impressive. It jumps up too governor cut in very quickly. I'm guessing around 4,000 rpm and 30mph. I will get into that more once I got a tach and speedo mounted.

As you can see from pics I'm comparing the MB to my CT. My CT has a Wildcat 223 with header, muffler, breather, TAV and 60T sprocket. Plus I've done some port matching, porting and polishing. It's a torque monster and jumps up too the upper 40's fast. The engine on my MB for being stock, actually impressed and surprised me. Throttle is a lot smoother than my CT !

The feel of the ride. The MB is a much more smoother and comfortable ride than my CT. Even with my 230lbs the shocks did not bottom out. The rake (how the front shocks are angled) has a better in control feel. Please don't get me wrong here, I like my CT, but this MB is a lot better ride for my ol butt. MB has a bit more ground clearance and is around 40 lbs heavier than the CT. I feel the MB frame is more solid than the CT.

I feel that for the money, the MB is a lot better deal than the CT. No my CT is not for sale :) going to use it around property for my hunting and utility vehicle. Also will be nice to have something a bit more mellow for friends to ride. The MB is going to become my serious trail and race machine. Plan on putting the Wildcat 223 on the MB, along with the TAV.. Will put the stock setup on the CT.

Only thing I do wish they had put on the MB is a chain tensioner for chain going to rear sprocket. That will be an easy add on, if needed.

Attachments

LIVIT

I have my first problem. Today, I decided to run it a bit harder. Kept having problems with chain popping off sprocket. Chain tension was good. So I hung it from my hoist and ran it with rear wheel off the ground. My rim/axle is bent. The tire and sprocket are wobbling. Chain tightens and loosens, just enough that it throws the chain at higher speeds. I will contact Massimo tomorrow, now we will see how good their customer service is. I'm going to ask for a new complete assembly, rim, sprocket, axle and chain. I will let y'all know what happens. I'm glad I found this, before I swapped out the Wildcat 223 from my CT.

Attachments

LIVIT

Spoke with CS at Massimo. Very pleasant experience !! They're sending me a new rim, tire, axle, sprocket and chain. Representative seemed very concerned that it came defective from manufacturer. Even asked if a CS manager could call me and follow up. I'm impressed with their CS, this is how a customer with a legit issue should be taken care of.

I also asked about what cc engine is, since mine is a 7.5hp not the 6.5hp, suppose to get back with me.

LIVIT

Something I forgot. CS at Massimo, did offer to do a refund, send me a new bike or replace parts. I did already receive an email with a work order # stating an order for parts has been submitted. Wonder how long it will be before I get the new parts.

Something I do know it's going to need is a chain tensioner. Specially after I put on a 60T sprocket.

LIVIT

Well this is becoming a dang saga. Massimo CS rep called me. Told me it could be 6 weeks or more before I got parts and she felt this was not right, I agreed. They wanted to replace whole bike. I suggested a refund and I would buy the parts myself. CS rep liked that idea ( she is very nice to deal with) They're are suppose to get back with me. Even though I'm disgusted that it came defective from manufacturer. I have to give Massimo CS credit for trying their best to take care of me in a timely manner ! This means a lot to me.

I compared by eye, the rim, brake drum etc.. to my CT200. It looks to be the same exact parts, including how the brake drum bolts too frame and the spacers on axle. I will pull the rim off CT to make sure !! If this works out, I will use the monies to buy a new rim, 60T sprocket and possibly the more aggressive 20" tires I was wanting anyways. I will have to do some measuring before ordering them tires.

I will keep y'all updated.