MB165 leaking strut

noseoil

I have a pin hole in one of the struts which is leaking during bumps & hard riding. Will the MB200 struts fit the MB165? I found some online, but I'm wondering if they are the same. I've seen it both ways, they fit & they don't. Anyone know about this one? I would do a rebuild, but the hole is in the metal & dribbles out over time.

Last edited:

noseoil

Rolled the dice & ordered 2 new struts from gopower, will have to see how it works out. Might need to buy other stuff, but I like my bike & will give it a try. I'll post to this thread once I find out how these work, or don't.

noseoil

OK, it turns out the struts from gopower are 1 1/4" O.D. & the struts from the MB165 & MB200 are only 1" O.D. so it looks like I have to do something creative to make it work this time. I have a buddy who welds, so it looks like I'll get some 1 1/4" DOM tubing & make something which works to fit. Stay tuned for more & will keep posting as I get things working again...

noseoil

Matt, I'd thought of doing an epoxy repair with JB weld, but these are old struts, so I want to do a good fix for the future. Just got back from IMS in Tucson & found the 1.25" ID DOM tube, so I have what I need to get started. I know it's a PITA to do it this way & a bit spendy as well, but it should make for a stronger front end once it's finished & rolling again.

I may do the epoxy trick once this one is done just to see what happens, but it's not a guaranteed fix. Welding would be a better way to go, but it's just cheap aluminum on the part, so I'm not sure how good that would be for either in the long run. Concern with the welding would be from heat distortion in the tube & then not having the proper cutter to ream it out if it gets boogered up.

Here's a couple of pictures to start with, showing what needs to be changed for the larger strut members.

YellowFront.jpg

3-bolt-1.jpg

TopPlate.jpg

noseoil

OK, the struts got here & they're different than I was originally told. The shaft size isn't 1.25" but is actually 1.18" (or about 30mm OD) so I'm thinking it's a no-go for these to use. I don't have access to any DOM tube this size in town & I would have to send out for some from online, so more complications. GoPower will do a refund, so all I need to do is send them back & pay shipping. They really are good people to deal with, so if you need anything they are worth considering.

Dim.jpg

It's getting too complicated at this point for the bike & the money & time it will cost to work on it this way. If I had a metal shop it would be different, but as it stands, my woodworking tools aren't up to the task. Thinking it will just be easier to track down a new strut from somebody who has one, or find a roller for parts that will give me what I need in spares.

I didn't know that the "MB200" model these struts go on are for a completely different type of bike than the Baja MB200 or MB165, go figure.

Anyone have a spare strut that's rebuildable I can get? Would prefer a pair really, since that way they would match. PM me if you do.

noseoil

I found 2 bikes today, so I think I should be ok, but interested to see what you might have I could use. PM me about them. thanks