McCulloch ID help

markus

I went to pick up a 1970 HS40 tecumseh parts engine I spotted on craigslist today and when I got there and was talking to the guy He told me he found his old Mac off his kart too and offered it to me. He thought it was a "101"? Said it had been many years though since he used it. Its rough but its not frozen and appears servicable, the intake is actually not installed/loose so I was able to look inside and see it move etc. He said it was sucking air and he had torn it down to repair years ago There is a another reed block/intake that was in a box with some other parts that has a crack in it so I dunno if that was the problem or not.

Anyway any help to ID the size or whatever I need to know as I would like to tear it down and see if its workable but I know nothing about these engines and what is different between sizes and model numbers.

Thanks!

CarPlayLB

Hey Mark,
the shroud certainly looks like a 101...but let's wait for YOOP to pop in...that guy knows his MAC's!

I hope you bought this! The 101's are going for big money these days! The biggest issue is the flatback carbs...they have this "duckbill" valve that gets eaten fairly quickly with todays fuel. I removed the flatback from my 91 and bought a Tilly for it. I needed it tamed down a bit too!

If you need gaskets, send me a pm and I'll take care of you!

markus

So I just popped it apart a bit and ran it through the parts washer. I did a search and found some specs on the macbobaust site to compare. That was a lot easier to find info on it than any west bend, or power products I have!

It has a .010 piston, and bore measures just under 2.29 so its a 101. It has the machined recess for the rod in the case and it Also has the fingerports, cross all that up and it shows as a 101a

It has some work done, and has initials engraved here and there and there is also an x stamped in the oiler mount nub. Also in the crusty parts box I found a gasket set and the invoice from buying the gasket set and some other odds and ends from Wiseco dated 1981....so Its been sitting awhile :laugh:

Last edited:

markus

so anyone know if there is a pretty good supplier or where to look for replacement parts for these....rings, bearings, crank seals, etc.? got it mostly apart and cleaning it up now.

thanks

T-Town Mini

so anyone know if there is a pretty good supplier or where to look for replacement parts for these....rings, bearings, crank seals, etc.? got it mostly apart and cleaning it up now.

thanks
You might try giving Comet Kart Sales a call: https://cometkartsales.com/home.php
I've ordered parts for my mac from them before...it was a long time ago but, they might still have what you need on their shelves. If not they may at least be able to direct you to where you might find parts.

OldMiniBikes Members, hotrodricky and mrtwister are McCulloch builders...they may have a parts source for you.

he will never get the 10k he is asking he just want's you to look at his other stuff Ken
I know Ken. I'm also on the vintage kart site and read the daily posts. When I start thinking vintage mini bike crap is ridiculously priced, all I have to do is look at vintage kart parts to feel better about a $400 Tecumseh block. ;)

markus

:laugh: 10K, Mines a bit of a fixer upper, I'll be lucky if it get somewhere near 1/4 of a "K" out of the stuff thats here

Terry Ives, 916-201-7707, Vince Hughes, 760-908-3644, Bill McCornack, 630-400-2645 All guys that build McCullochs and know them well. Ives has reproduction pistons in all sizes, reproduction GEM V12 intakes, rebuilt cranks etc.

thanks
Terry Ives, 916-201-7707, Vince Hughes, 760-908-3644, Bill McCornack, 630-400-2645 All guys that build McCullochs and know them well. Ives has reproduction pistons in all sizes, reproduction GEM V12 intakes, rebuilt cranks etc.
Terry is rebuilding my Mac 45 right now. Extremely nice guy. Best in the country with the Macs.