Micro-Power Micro Bike info...

I just got a vintage Micro-Power Micro bike complete with the original suitcase. I have searched the internet to find info for this bike but really haven't had much luck. In fact, the only other Micro-Power bike I've found is here on oldminibikes on a post by Marcus. I'm hoping to find more info on the bike and maybe even some parts. I expect to get mine delivered tomorrow, but I already know that I am going to need the engine shroud/starter assembly. Other than that it looks very complete and in good condition. If anyone has any info these bikes or knows where I can find info please let me know. I'll post some pictures as soon as it shows up.
thanks.

I got it today.....with Bonneville salt still on the tires. It is so sweet! But I really am amazed at how small the thing is! Here are a couple of pictures I snapped next to my '27 Ford Model T. The bike is smaller than the Buick 401 engine block in my hot rod. Now I just need to find a few parts and hopefully someone that might know something about these bikes.

I'll try mini-matic. Thanks Wayne.

I will take some detailed pictures of the engine tonight. It is an O&R, based on what I've looked at online and the owners manual that came with the bike. I don't see how it could be anything but the original engine. This is my first micro bike and it blows me away that such a small engine can move an adult around. I have seen similar engines on RC planes, and my chainsaw has an engine that's twice as big!

I cleaned the engine up and looked all over it for some sort of serial number but can't find one. Any suggestions on where to look? I haven't dismounted the motor from the frame so maybe its hidden. The throttle and choke levers move easily and the top of the piston looked good. It seems to have compression but since I don't have a starter yet I can't check spark. I'm sure I'll have to dismantle the carb and clean it out....probably even replace the diaphragm. I found a guy on ebay that claims to have figured out a way to make the diaphragm better than stock for around $20 so I might look him up if I can't figure it out.

Any suggestions on what to do to the engine would be great. I've built several automobile engines and even messed around with some RC engines, but this thing seems so delicate.....just don't want to screw something up.

I cleaned the engine up and looked all over it for some sort of serial number but can't find one. Any suggestions on where to look?

The numbers are stamped on the little shrouds that wrap around the jug. But looking at your pic I think they are missing.

I found a guy on ebay that claims to have figured out a way to make the diaphragm better than stock for around $20 so I might look him up if I can't figure it out.
His diaphrams are your best bet. I may have the recoil you need but I would need better photos of your engine.

Here are more pictures of the engine. I wrote the only numbers I could find anywhere on the engine over the picture of the top of the head. That's where the numbers are, but in case you can't read them I typed them over the picture.

From what I could find on ebay and some hobby sights it looks like the O&R engines of this size were used for chainsaws, RC stuff, and even a bicycle engine. It looks like they all have the same shroud, just different colors (red, yellow, green, etc).

delray

cool little mini minibike. one of my chainsaw engines looks to be more like a parts engine. i think that one would be a good one to have:thumbsup: i will dig them up this weekend and send you some good pictures of both units:thumbsup: i do have one that bolts to a bicycle. it looks complete with gas tank and looks in good condition. maybe that one will go to ebay someday:rolleyes:$$$

delray.....I read somewhere that the O&R engine that was meant to mount on a bicycle was called the "chicken power" or something crazy like that. It might be worth some $$$ based on the name alone! :)
I'll look forward to seeing those pictures. I want to take this thing for a spin, but I've got a seriously dirty gas tank to seal and a carb to rebuild, not to mention a starter to find. Hopefully yours will work for me.......

delray

hey adavis, here is couple pictures of my parts/chainsaw O&R engine. the only problem with it,missing the recoil for it:doah: if you want to wait on it and see if you can find a complete cover assy or maybe someone can sell you just a recoil unit(new)and then you can use the cover? i seen some new stickers for them on ebay in the past:thumbsup:
also you will need a black ball handle for the rope.

Hi,
Check Ebay item 320575156389. I believe that is what you have. Also check out the seller of item 120570472235. I saw 5 motors similiar to yours on Ebay.

Bill

delray

price on couple of them right now are not bad:thumbsup:,but they will go up:doah:
most of the time a real nice condition O&R engine going from $200-$400:shrug:

Thanks guys, for the advice. The first place I looked was ebay and I saw a few engines that I thought looked like mine. I was and am a little nervous, though, because I've NEVER dealt with a motor this small and I want to make sure I'm getting the right parts. I know nothing about O&R so I don't know how much of it crosses. I contacted one of the ebay sellers and he offered to sell me a completely restored shroud and starter assembly for $40 shipped. Does that sound like a good deal??? After what you guys said about $200-400 range I'm thinking maybe I should jump on that. The rest of my engine looks good and seems to have decent compression, but I haven't been able to check for spark because I can't crank it over fast enough and I haven't tore it apart because, quite frankly, I'm worried I'll screw something up on this little sucker. Any of you know someone on OldMiniBikes that is an expert on the old O&R's? I could use a little advice on how to approach this thing.

Hi,
Check Ebay item 320575156389. I believe that is what you have. Also check out the seller of item 120570472235. I saw 5 motors similiar to yours on Ebay.

Bill
So this seems like a decent deal considering the whole engine is there. Do you think this is a match with the motor on my bike? How can I tell?

delray

$40 bucks sounds like a good price ship to your door for a complete recoil assy,ball and rope too?. ready to go..........:scooter:

So I think I'm going to buy the shroud/starter assembly (it is complete and restored to like new) as well as a new diaphragm. Does anyone have any experience with these little carbs? I've pulled mine apart and it looks pretty darn good. Even the diaphragm looks alright but I think it should be replaced. I'm thinking I'll spray carb cleaner into every hole and then gently blow it all out. Is there anything else I should dig into before I consider it "clean"?
I pulled the spark plug and looked at the top of the piston.....it looks excellent. Like new. Is there anything else that should be done before I put everything together and attempt to start? I haven't touched the clutch/drive assembly....does that require lube or is it a sealed system?
Thanks again everyone for the input.

These carbs are extremely finicky, borderline imposable. But the only thing that can go bad is the diaphragm. I would probably dump oil right in it and turn it over a whole bunch to get oil everywhere before starting. Then let it drain good.
The transmission is packed with grease and sealed.
I found a recoil/blower housing I have but it is the later style. The later ones have a removable recoil. They don't look as nice but they are much more durable. I would stick with whatever it had originally.
I'm wondering why the blower housing was off when you got it? You mentioned not getting spark. If you snap it past the mag by hand, it should fire, easily. Some guy's claim you have to turn them fast to get spark, whether a Briggs or O&R if everything is correct they will fire by a swift snap past the mag.

Here's an extra blower housing and cyl. tins. But you may want to keep it with the ball and link type? If indeed thats what it had. Do you know the year of the machine? If so I may have the service info and a IPL on the engine. That would show you what should be on it.
Randy

Talked with Joe off ebay and am getting that restored blower housing and a diaphragm. He is an amazing source of info on the O&R engines and a great guy to talk to. VERY HELPFUL and just plain nice. I'm excited to get the parts this week and maybe fire her up next weekend.
I adjusted and cleaned the points and gapped the plug. Turned the flywheel and no spark, so I shut the lights off in the garage and BINGO....there is a spark. Its not super bright, but its definitely there. I'm going to get a new plug and see if that helps, but I think the actual starter will be the answer. This engine is so clean and nice I'm going to be surprised if it doesn't run. I'll update when I have more info.