Modified Predator 212 and now it won't start

So, first off I purchased the Stage 2 go kart upgrade kit for my Predator 212 that is for my Carter 2 seater go kart. Once I put on all of the items I fired up the engine (still off of the kart) and it ran just fine except the governor kept it from really opening up. So, I decided to go all in (well almost). I then purchased a billet flywheel, billet rod, new piston with new rings, mod2 dyno cam, and 4 post spark plug. I get all of these items installed and put the engine all back together and fill it up with Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. Since th I used assembly lube on the internals as I put it all back together and torqued everything to the suggested settings. Now the darn thing won't start. I've set the valve lash on the intake and the exhaust to the specs of the cam which is .003" for both. I've also set the coil gap to .030" as it stated on the flywheel. I also read that using synthetic oil as a break in oil is not a good idea. Could that really be preventing my motor from starting? I've even tried putting gas into the spark plug hole and it still doesn't fire up at all. I've noticed a little white smoke coming out of the air filter while I'm attempting to start it and I'm really just not sure what to do next. This coming weekend I am going to drain my synthetic oil and open it back up and make sure all is well with the internals. What suggestions/comments/concerns would you all be able to assist me with in regards to this situation??? After all this time, effort and money spent I would really like to hear this thing purr (or hopefully growl). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

trinik7597

First off you can't break in with synthetic oil ... It won't keep it from starting but dump it and put sae 30 in for break-in . Next you need to check for 2 things spark and fuel . Pull the plug . With it grounded on the head pull it over . Should be spark !! Coughing out the intake usually means your lash is too tight . You will need to check that . You don't really want to put gas in the cyl. Checking if it's a fuel issue . I usually spray some carb cleaner in the intake if it pops but won't run otherwise it's fuel issue . Are your timing marks on the cam and crank definitely lined up ? Did you pull the timing key and not put it back ? There are a lot of things it could be ... All simple fixes but start with the basics spark , lash and fuel .. and get rid of that Delhi plug and put an NGK in it

Also, you had a stage two kit before the billet flywheel. Which timing key are you using now? If it's not the stock key that is a big issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you got the cam and crank lined up .....right ? If you have the kill switch wired up.. unplug it totally.

So, first off thank you all for the insight. Let's me see...yes I do get spark from the plug so that's a good start. What I'm gathering is that you all are telling me that the 4 way spark plug that I got from OldMiniBikes isn't any good? I will re do the lash and make sure it isn't too tight which I'm thinking it might be because the .003" feeler gauge is tight to slide in. I will try the trick about shooting some carb cleaner into the intake and see what that does. The dots are lined up between the cam and crank (ha ha he said crank lol). So dig this one, in regards to the timing key, I had put the 8* key in it when I had stock flywheel and then when I put on the arc billet flywheel that was pre set with that advancement, I flipped the 8* key around so that the left side of the key hole on the flywheel would line up like it would on a stock key. Could that be a major issue? In regards to that kill switch unplugging...I get spark with the kill switch set to on and I do not get spark when it is set to off. Should I still fully disconnect it? Thanks again for all of you alls time and responses. It is much appreciated as I really wanna get this thing running so that I may put it on my kart and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

trinik7597

I am not saying they are no good I just don't personally like them . Put the stock timing key back in . Check the lash . It will start .

I am not saying they are no good I just don't personally like them . Put the stock timing key back in . Check the lash . It will start .
This, as long as the cam timing marks are correct. Do what Tim suggests before cracking sidecover open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk