Modifying front forks to add shocks? Trail Horse

Im having some trouble finding any information about swapping or modifying my forks on trail horse to have suspension of some sort and ease the impact of bumps. I completely rebuilt my bike about 6 or 7 years ago and havent used it for the past 5+. After replacing the gas tank and carb (rusted to hell from sitting with gas for so long) I got it running again and crashed bad pretty quickly. It seems to have a little more kick to it now and super unstable before even getting close to max speed (40+ back when I rebuilt). My roads are pretty trash and in fields its even worse. Its like every impact from hitting bumps slams through my wrists and easy to lose control. I would prefer not to chop up the original forks but is there any info out there on how to modify them and add shocks or something. Or anyone know of a easy to find fork set with suspension that would work on a trail horse? Picture with the red paint is from the past week after I crashed and the gray paint is from when I bought the bike because I dont have a recent full picture of the front end

20190703_063719.jpg DSCI0164.jpg

It would probably handle better if the fork were straightened. I'm not familiar with that make/model but it looks small; if so, the Mega Moto suspension fork would probable work. GPS may have the MM forks available before too long. OldMiniBikes Warehouse and others have springs and cups you could use to modify the existing fork (after straightening) if you want a more vintage look.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...suspension-forks-now-available-for-80.164591/

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...rts-bought-out-mega-moto.166690/#post-1217247

Will have to get some exact measurements in the morning. And yeah there does seem to be a slight bend back on the forks but they were that way when I got em and both sides are exactly the same so I dont know if that was original or a mod by previous owner. The link for the front suspension kit is no good. Not sure what Im suppose to be looking at in the 2nd link

Will have to get some exact measurements in the morning. And yeah there does seem to be a slight bend back on the forks but they were that way when I got em and both sides are exactly the same so I dont know if that was original or a mod by previous owner. The link for the front suspension kit is no good. Not sure what Im suppose to be looking at in the 2nd link
You have what is commonly referred to as "high-speed forks", the result of running into something.

Both links work for me, the first is a thread about the MM fork kit ("Mega Moto suspension forks now available for $80", you can find it on the 2nd page in Mini Bike Discussion), the second is a thread in which the OP stated that GPS has purchased MM and should have MM parts available soon, you can find it on the first page in Off Topic Discussion ("Looks like Go power sports bought out Mega Moto").

40 MPH is about all six inch wheel is good for. An honest 40 is extremely fast for mini bike wheels sporting $20 tires and shimmy and wobble are the outcome. Suspended front end is not going to fix that, and in many cases might make it worse.

You need to straighten your forks. This can be done with a press, or the creative use of hydraulic jacks, and immovable objects. It will not do a whole lot to "fix forty."

Why not just fix it up, sell it, and buy a pit bike? From your list of needs, it's a machine that will suit your riding style and terrain far better than this bike ever will. Installing a set of Chinese forks, or fabricating your own is not a job for the novice, and you need to have access to a welder, accurate means to cut tubing, and an a basic understanding of front end geometry. A mini bike isn't and never was designed for rough terrain.

By the way, here is a bike that used to be like yours- way worse shape actually. I made the front suspension, and added Honda and minibike parts to the rear, so it is a fully suspended bike. It took many hours, lots of money, and a lot of tries and failures to get it right, and still, a $300 Pit Bike will handle the terrain better.

66.JPG

You have what is commonly referred to as "high-speed forks", the result of running into something.

Both links work for me, the first is a thread about the MM fork kit ("Mega Moto suspension forks now available for $80", you can find it on the 2nd page in Mini Bike Discussion), the second is a thread in which the OP stated that GPS has purchased MM and should have MM parts available soon, you can find it on the first page in Off Topic Discussion ("Looks like Go power sports bought out Mega Moto").
I mean the link to the product doesnt work. Seems they have been discontinued it in March from what I could find in video comments

40 MPH is about all six inch wheel is good for. An honest 40 is extremely fast for mini bike wheels sporting $20 tires and shimmy and wobble are the outcome. Suspended front end is not going to fix that, and in many cases might make it worse.

You need to straighten your forks. This can be done with a press, or the creative use of hydraulic jacks, and immovable objects. It will not do a whole lot to "fix forty."

Why not just fix it up, sell it, and buy a pit bike? From your list of needs, it's a machine that will suit your riding style and terrain far better than this bike ever will. Installing a set of Chinese forks, or fabricating your own is not a job for the novice, and you need to have access to a welder, accurate means to cut tubing, and an a basic understanding of front end geometry. A mini bike isn't and never was designed for rough terrain.

By the way, here is a bike that used to be like yours- way worse shape actually. I made the front suspension, and added Honda and minibike parts to the rear, so it is a fully suspended bike. It took many hours, lots of money, and a lot of tries and failures to get it right, and still, a $300 Pit Bike will handle the terrain better.

View attachment 246673

I dont go offroading with it and Im not hitting potholes. Just average common cracks in the road with cement raised a inch or 2 is like slamming into a boulder. And the more it resembles a dirt bike the more likely I would be to get stopped by the cops. I dont even plan on going max speed I just like cruising and ride it to work nearby. Bending the forks is not going to accomplish what I really want which is to not feel every impact slam into my wrists

I mean the link to the product doesnt work. Seems they have been discontinued it in March from what I could find in video comments
As stated in that thread, the fork kit is no longer listed on the MM site, which is why that link no longer works. The fork kit may be available again when the new owners of MM get things up and running.

You mentioned riding through fields, so that is why I mentioned off roading. I maintain what I said. That bike is never going to meet your needs. I'm one of the guys on here who has done what you want to do, so I am not trying to disrespect you or blast your idea. You have a bottom end, basic mini bike there, and to make it have suspension, you are going to have to get some springs, four cups, two of them the OD of your existing forks, two of them to the larger OD for the bottom legs, and you're going to have to crimp or weld axle retainers, as well as incorporate some method of retaining the lowers into the uppers with spring tension, probably using a longer 9/16 bolt that extends up past the top triple tree.

Or, you can buy a front end, and modifiy your existing triple trees buy cutting and welding to affix the new forks to it, while maintaining decent fork geometry.

Or, you can find a used mini bike from China with giant tires, and that will go a long way towards smoothing the bumps. Or you can get a brand new one of those for way too much money.

@chipper has done that modification with the Chinese forks, so he would be a great one to ask, and he will see this thread and probably give you some indication as to the level of skill required.

My only need is what I asked for and titled the post "swapping or modifying my forks on trail horse to have suspension of some sort and ease the impact of bumps". Everything else was just relevant information and part of the story imo. The kit charles posted is a good start but unfortunately not available at the moment. Gives me a idea of something else I can look for but would still like to hear anyones experience on swapping or modifying their forks or some type of replacement actually available. Youre just making it into a much more complicated situation

Hitting that crack with a 6" wheel will always feel like a boulder, even if you add springs.
Except it doesnt. My cousins bike with same tires but has suspension is noticeably smoother around the neighborhood. All I wanna know is what people have found that can be used as a replacement or a guide of someone modifying existing.

A couple models of the Trail Horse came with suspension in the front. A simple matter of a coil springs inside each fork upper. You may want to look around for a set of those. There has to be some out there on the "parts lists". Another option would be to make your own suspension. That would involve straightening the forks, cutting them, welding in a guide rod and external spring perches. You would also need to "cap" the end of the upper portion, so the guide rod could not fall out during long travel. It can be done, but it may, unless you can do some pretty good fabricating yourself, become an expensive proposition. It would also include ruining a desirable mini.

A couple models of the Trail Horse came with suspension in the front. A simple matter of a coil springs inside each fork upper. You may want to look around for a set of those. There has to be some out there on the "parts lists". Another option would be to make your own suspension. That would involve straightening the forks, cutting them, welding in a guide rod and external spring perches. You would also need to "cap" the end of the upper portion, so the guide rod could not fall out during long travel. It can be done, but it may, unless you can do some pretty good fabricating yourself, become an expensive proposition. It would also include ruining a desirable mini.
Yeah Im keeping a lookout for some now and gonna watch the go power sports to see if they start releasing the mega moto ones again. Fabrication would be a last option. I do know someone who can do it but I would much rather not chop up the original forks or pay the extra to buy a new set worth chopping up. I see people mismatching forks to frames all the time but it doesnt seem to be a very popular subject for guides lol. I guess I was kinda hoping there would be something out there new and easy to buy like the mega moto but Im a few months late

Havasu Dave is right , mini bikes , adult size rider , off road just doesn't work. But if insist buy a set on motovox or monster moto suspension forks , they are the best bang for your buck if you can find a set , both these bikes use them , or get some Yamaha PW80 FORKS and make your own trees or modify your stock trees , I dont know if you have the tools or skills to fabricate mounts like these ? 20151021_180942.jpg 20190426_171816.jpg 20190209_152646.jpg

Again, Im not offroading with it or even attempting to hit top speed. I just cruise with it in the neighborhood and ride it to work. Im not expecting some luxury smooth ride. I literally just want to decrease the impact sent to my wrists when I hit small bumps. I dont have the tools for it but I know someone. Ill just keep an eye out for a used set for now and watch for those moto ones to be available again

What this fellow did with a new set of $56 eBay Honda CRF50 clone forks looks pretty interesting.
You can even save your original forks intact for historical purposes. ;)
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=182048201630
I actually watched that video before I got back on here to ask about it. Its like one of the only modification videos on the subject I could find haha. I dont have the tools to do the metal work myself. I do have brother in another state though able to make the plates and mail them to me. Now I just need to research the shocks and figure out if theres something other than the pw80 that would work