Montgomery Ward Mini Bike (Survivor)

Hello OldMiniBikes Members,
I have recently purchased a vintage Montgomery Wards mini bike from Ebay and had shipped from Santa Cruz California.
I would like to see if any members could give me some help with find out what items or parts or missing or incorrect on the mini bike. Also I'm not sure if the mini bike had a headlight and taillight. But regardless I would like to add a vintage looking headlight and taillight that maybe has been updated with newer LED lighting.
Thanks for your time in this matter.
Regards
Ratminibike

Attachments

Hello OldMiniBikes Members,
I have recently purchased a vintage Montgomery Wards mini bike from Ebay and had shipped from Santa Cruz California.
I would like to see if any members could give me some help with find out what items or parts or missing or incorrect on the mini bike. Also I'm not sure if the mini bike had a headlight and taillight. But regardless I would like to add a vintage looking headlight and taillight that maybe has been updated with newer LED lighting.
Thanks for your time in this matter.
Regards
Ratminibike
Weclome aboard Ratminibike. Looks like nice bike, I'm sure someone can help with your questions. Post more pics when you get a chance. Nate

markus

With a plane like that I would think you would have gone for a Rupp! Thats what Mickey Rupp raced up into the mid 90's, he crashed it here in FL though (think the plane was pretty much a complete loss from what I can remember) and never raced again after that.

Personally, I think you got a better bike with that one though :wink: For "old school" lighting like it was you will need to locate a lighting coil and magneto for the H50 engine, The taillight General appliance used was a PMCO 420 series, No one has come forward with what the headlight actually was on them yet, they do not compare to any of the typical Headlights that were in use for mini bikes. That company made tractors as well and it may have been something they were already using an a good chance it was from the PMCO/ peterson manufacturing company line.

For license plate mount they actually just flipped the mount around and the plate was top mounted, this about the best photo I have showing that (this is a Trail horse 1400, but General appliance used that same bike sold many different ways like your wards version)

With a plane like that I would think you would have gone for a Rupp! Thats what Mickey Rupp raced up into the mid 90's, he crashed it here in FL though (think the plane was pretty much a complete loss from what I can remember) and never raced again after that.

Personally, I think you got a better bike with that one though :wink: For "old school" lighting like it was you will need to locate a lighting coil and magneto for the H50 engine, The taillight General appliance used was a PMCO 420 series, No one has come forward with what the headlight actually was on them yet, they do not compare to any of the typical Headlights that were in use for mini bikes. That company made tractors as well and it may have been something they were already using an a good chance it was from the PMCO/ peterson manufacturing company line.

For license plate mount they actually just flipped the mount around and the plate was top mounted, this about the best photo I have showing that (this is a Trail horse 1400, but General appliance used that same bike sold many different ways like your wards version)

Looks like it could be the original engine? Perhaps the lighted parts are still there? Look for a harness (two or three wires) coming from behind the shroud out towards the front of the bike. That's a great riding bike and a badass plane!!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Just gonna set this here...Mine is Wards bike due to the Manco rims from what I understand.The one in my pic also has very very light MW traces of lettering on the decals. Yours looks like Trail Horse version with the 5 spokes. Unless you have some decals on yours..that would answer a few questions on here and be helpful.

Just gonna set this here...Mine is Wards bike due to the Manco rims from what I understand.The one in my pic also has very very light MW traces of lettering on the decals. Yours looks like Trail Horse version with the 5 spokes. Unless you have some decals on yours..that would answer a few questions on here and be helpful.

I have the same bike Bill with the Manco rims and I got a set of 5 spokes instead 'cause I liked the look. My bike only had the number 54 on the bars when I got it, and it's still there:thumbsup:

On a side note Markus, dude WTF? I was looking at this thread on my phone and when I touched your pic it gave me all sorts of virus crap that I couldn't turn off.

I have the same bike Bill with the Manco rims and I got a set of 5 spokes instead 'cause I liked the look. My bike only had the number 54 on the bars when I got it, and it's still there:thumbsup:

On a side note Markus, dude WTF? I was looking at this thread on my phone and when I touched your pic it gave me all sorts of virus crap that I couldn't turn off.
I totally agree..5 spokes look way better on there.:thumbsup:

markus

Just photobucket :shrug: