Montgomery wards 424 fork springs

Any way to take off/apart the front forks on a 1960s Montgomery wards 424 to replace the springs ... Without cutting the welds. Novice restorer here lol. Thanks for all your help. Pete

capguncowboy

Hey Pete. You're all over these forums today, eh?

The only thing holding the forks together are the springs, like a giant screw. Once you remove the front wheel and front fender, the fork lowers (struts) will twist and unscrew from the springs. Then they just slide right out.

Thanks Cap. I'll give that a try. Hope the lower forks are not stuck. Learning a lot here Is there anyplace to buy new brake drums and brake bands for these or gently used. My drum is 1/2 thickness and severely grooved

Thanks Cap. I'll give that a try. Hope the lower forks are not stuck. Learning a lot here Is there anyplace to buy new brake drums and brake bands for these or gently used. My drum is 1/2 thickness and severely grooved
The drums come up in classified periodically. Replacing the band, though, is another story. Look for the project log by UnorthodoxCreat (Spring 2015). He completely rebuilt a 525 and fabricated a brake band--it's a little complicated.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

If it were me, rather than finding an original brake, I'd figure out a way to mount a regular band brake to the swing arm. It shouldn't be too difficult to do.