Montgomery Wards 525 Serial numbers

Am I correct in assuming if I had a Wards 525 with serial number 17X106789 that it would have been the 106,789th 525 minibike made? I'm trying to determine approx how many 525's were made...
Thanks

Danford1

As far as extracting info out of that ser#, I would say that is not correct. I would not believe Gilson cranked-out over 100k minis. If you look at it as if MW had a numbering system, certainly, no way would that number reflect units produced/branded for them. There is not even a trace of your particular model number embedded in that ser..

Is far as I've read here, nobody has collected a list of numbers to attempt to decode what might have been related to date or production sequence.

One other mysterious thing. Your # contains 6 digits past the X. I have two 525s that only contain 5 digits. Typically, the architecture of a serial or vin. would retain place holders even if the digit is zero. The 17X appears to have little meaning to me. You have a 525 (17X) and I have a 424 also with a 17X prefix.

Last edited:
I didn't really think they made 107,000 525's but had to ask the question anyway. I didn't list the model number above sorry. It is GIL-13987A.
Maybe the 17X is the code for the manufacturing plant or something like that ??? Maybe even a code for 1971?
Perhaps an 09 would be September and 10 is for October ??? It would be nice to find records or info on how the serial numbers are deciphered.

Thanks
Danford1

The mini bike craze period which I'll just say was 1969 to 1972 is relatively small sales window. Gilson had a few other irons in the fire so minis, IMO, wouldn't be top priority and therefore I wouldn't believe more than one section of an existing plant's floorspace was devoted to assembly.

However, you have a good hunch with model year. First character of 0 or 1 is all I've seen to date. I have a 525 and it is a true 1970 as the engine is original and it has a Tec '70 date code. MW ser# is 07X. As far as the 7 goes, who knows, maybe July was mini-bike month there in Plymouth.

The mini bike craze period which I'll just say was 1969 to 1972 is relatively small sales window. Gilson had a few other irons in the fire so minis, IMO, wouldn't be top priority and therefore I wouldn't believe more than one section of an existing plant's floorspace was devoted to assembly.

However, you have a good hunch with model year. First character of 0 or 1 is all I've seen to date. I have a 525 and it is a true 1970 as the engine is original and it has a Tec '70 date code. MW ser# is 07X. As far as the 7 goes, who knows, maybe July was mini-bike month there in Plymouth.
The "craze" started well before that in my local area (So Cal) more like 1965-1966.I do not know where your area is as your profile only states "USA"...
Michael

^Show me pages of mainstream department stores selling scads of minis in 1965. It's the same theory with CB radio. Sure they were around in the early 60s and a few communications type retail outlets. It wasn't until tail end of 60s and most of the 70s where it "craze" levels of advertising, marketing and selling out of department stores like Sears and JCP.

I stand by my statement, no way did Gilson make 100k in just 4 model year runs. We are taking Gilsons and this thread is about serial #s, not where I live.

Michael, What's wrong with "USA"? Seems like that's where most of us reside....
You, and apparently others, missed the point. Userguy made a broadbrush and inaccurate statement (at least in my area) as to when the minibike "craze" started, at least here in the area I live. Steens (Taco) minibikes were already going very strong in Alhambra, CA well before 1969. I BUILT my first minibike in junior high metal shop in 1966 and the age of 13 and I can assure you they were ALL the "craze" by that time. Providing one's geographic area (at least which state) in their profile can be helpful in some topics such as selling a part or bike for "local pickup", and in this case maybe there are geographic differences as to when a fad started. I do give him some credit though... at least he put the country (USA). I have seen a few profiles that listed "Earth" as their location... LOL
Michael

You, and apparently others, missed the point. Userguy made a broadbrush and inaccurate statement (at least in my area) as to when the minibike "craze" started, at least here in the area I live. Steens (Taco) minibikes were already going very strong in Alhambra, CA well before 1969. I BUILT my first minibike in junior high metal shop in 1966 and the age of 13 and I can assure you they were ALL the "craze" by that time. Providing one's geographic area (at least which state) in their profile can be helpful in some topics such as selling a part or bike for "local pickup", and in this case maybe there are geographic differences as to when a fad started. I do give him some credit though... at least he put the country (USA). I have seen a few profiles that listed "Earth" as their location... LOL
Michael
Michael...you are mistaken.. I did get the point and I’m sure most others did too... Maybe you didn’t get mine... Userguy was simply trying to help but it seems that as has often happened, you felt the need to correct him with your own idea of what is correct in a manner that seems condescending. You placed an emphasis on his choice of location which I’ve seen you do many times before to others on this site who have listed “USA” as their location. What does it matter? Who cares? In my opinion, he, like most of the community here and this includes you, is a valued contributor to the forum. It seems like a more constructive, tactful approach would work better than leaving the impression that you are just hiking your leg on yet another members post with non relevant banter. Don’t get me wrong.. Your contributions to this site are just as important as anyone else’s, but as a person who manages a significant amount of employees I can tell you that people are human, perfection is non existent, but tolerance and acceptance of those facts are what makes a community that thrives.

We will just have to "agree to disagree" on this. I will accept and respect your opinion and would request you do the same with mine. I am done with my "non relevant banter" (as you put it) on this topic.
Michael

pomfish

Haven't logged on in like 5 months and can see the Love is still going strong here :)

Back on topic, it is very possible that the serial numbers were broad for any item coming out of the plant. When referenced with the model # then Gilson would know when it was made from their internal records. (This is just a theory)

They did not make 100k 525's that is pretty certain.

As far as when you define a "craze" starting and ending?
Usually anything that started on the west coast is past it's prime once the East Coast catches on. LOL

Statistically it would be at it's zenith when the largest amount of manufacturers were providing and selling thru their yearly inventory and ends when the makers go bankrupt and consolidation occurs.
One only needs to read the long story of the Lil' Indian to get a good grip on when those dates occurred.

Carry on
Later,
Keith

Am I correct in assuming if I had a Wards 525 with serial number 17X106789 that it would have been the 106,789th 525 minibike made? I'm trying to determine approx how many 525's were made...
Thanks

Danford1
Often, the first few digits of an ID number will indicate the model designation, build date or location, etc., and the last digits are the serialized production number. Not saying that's the case here, but I've seen it on plenty of other products. Is it possible that this is the 6,789th bike in the series?

Maybe knowing other manufacturer's build numbers would clear up a little here. So, when I said 69~72 I mistakenly was referring to the Gilson build years, I think those are correct years (?)

capguncowboy

Maybe knowing other manufacturer's build numbers would clear up a little here. So, when I said 69~72 I mistakenly was referring to the Gilson build years, I think those are correct years (?)
I've never seen a Gilson with a 1969 engine. I have seen 70, 71 and 72, with 70 being the most common, at least around here

Here is another info plate from a 525. It has a higher serial number than what I asked about originally, same model number though.
What can we logically deduce from the serial number. Would this be a 1971 ?
Danford1

Last edited: