Montgomery Wards - who is it really?

This is my first post here so "POP". I am going to pick this up tonight. This is my first mini bike since I was 10 and I am very excited. Just trying to find out who made this. It has a Montgomery Wards sticker on the front but who REALLY made it? I don't think it is an ARCO due to the swing arm in the back looks different from any ARCO I can find.

Great! Thanks roccosbike. That's exactly what I want to hear. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $50. Now I am really excited. There is a race coming up at a car show I am going to in April. I can't wait to get this thing on the track.

Any "gotchas" I should be aware of when I rebuild it? Just trying to pre-plan a little. I have been building and modding Harleys for 20+ years so I would think this would be a relative no brainer but I also know to never underestimate anything,

old-timer

Scamming Member
Well I guess alot will depend on what type of build you have in mind:shrug: Do you want to restore it, or are you looking more towards a resto mod type build?

Vic

I want to have some fun with it for the summer then rebuild it to spec over the winter. Except for the paint. I want it to match my 65 Falcon Wagon which is white and blue. Thanks for the clutch cover heads up minibikin.

Last edited:
Haven't picked it up yet but the guy says that the motor is a replacement and has never been run. I suspect it will need to be replaced.

old-timer

Scamming Member
If you want a great motor for the money, I would suggest a Harbor Freight Predator motor. Run the snot out of it for the summer, and then look for the correct vintage motor in the meantime.

Vic

Thanks Vic. That is kinda what I was thinking. Have been reading posts for the last week and saw that a lot of people were doing that. Do you happen to know what it had in it originally?

old-timer

Scamming Member
I think it would have had a Tecumseh originally, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Hopefully some of the vets will chime in on that.

Vic

Thanks for all the info guys. I got it home last night late. It has a Tecumseh 3 1/2 hp that will run for about 5 revolutions. Gonna tear into the motor tonight and see what is what.

To do a "correct" resto on that....5 HP mini bike style big block, that remote gas tank, and the clutch cover.... are all "big number" items = $$$$!!

I would rebuild the Tecumseh that's on it...paint the bike, and have some fun with it.....

I think somebody might repro the decal kit for that..........good luck :thumbsup: