Motor Running, Squeaky Noises, Metal Shavings Found

I was watching a video Jody did not that long ago Eric ... And he went one step further and said you better make sure when you shut down with your motor hot to make sure you are on the bump or you will loose spring pressure even quicker if you let it sit with one of your springs compressed and hot !! I had never even thought about that before

Yes Sir I agree , and you know when you buy new springs....you just want to squeeze them to see how strong they are ! That's a big mistake with these springs.

I have duals in just about everything now !! My fingers aren't that strong anymore .Lol... Sorry I went off subject a little bit here but leave the 22's alone bwl

BWL

Okay, leave the 22 lbs springs in and run the BSP-4 cam. Man, I hope that bore ain't boogered up. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Good Luck to you , and I think its good that you went to the ARC rod...that's one problem you won't have anymore !
Be sure to check those lifters out real close, If any doubt...toss'em .

Last edited:
I'm with ya on that cam ....looks like its just slick wore out ! If the cylinder, rings and rod bearing look good I would put this baby back together like you had it and go with the BSP cam. Good Luck and keep us updated !

BWL

Got it running. Bought some 15w40 Rotella. Stupid me: I left my BSP-4 camshaft on my deep cycle battery and it's corroded beyond use. I took the bone stock camshaft from my Champion motor, and I'm using it. I'm also running my rejetted Predator carburetor. It's working well. That little combo should make a nice reliable little torque engine: more RPM, more compression with the flat top. I can run a 6.5 inch prop to keep the RPM below 5,500 or so. Bigger propellers are more efficient anyway.

I did put the 10.8 ls springs back in since I have a completely bone stock camshaft now.

With no gov. You should still be running the 22# springs and I told you I have a cam I will send you if you want it .. peak torque is going to be reached on a stock cam way before 5500 rpms

BWL

Phil, I bought my kit from MudMotorKits.com. They're also known as Thailand longtails. This is what outboard motors look like over there.

BWL

Much better! Yanked the NR 230, dropped in a MOD2 Dyno. Ran the motor for 30 minutes with 15W40 Rotella no load. Took it to the lake, ran idle with the prop in the water, and putt-putted around for about an hour or so. Ran up to full throttle once. Held it for a few seconds. Motor sounds much better. Much better cam. Ready to change oil and run this thing now.

Running the carb off my Predator. I can't seem to get my ARC 615 nor my Box Stock carburetor to work. It's like they're so rich the engine is puking.

Also went to an NGK BP8ES. It seems to like that temperature range better than the cheap China spark plug that cam with it which looked to be a 7: cooler than a stock 6 but maybe too hot considering I'm running a little more compression and more duration on the cam.

It's running well. I should be back on the water next week if the rain clears:
[video=youtube_share;T6vuB9bo4w4]https://youtu.be/T6vuB9bo4w4[/video]

Last edited:
Let us know if NR does right on that camshaft. I have never had a problem with his stuff and would like to know how he deals w/something like this. Congrats on the motor!

BWL , very well explained on the break in and contributing factors ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Also I always enjoy your videos.