Motorcycles... post yours

why do the posted pics come out so small on some of the posts
It has to do with whether you've uploaded a photo to OldMiniBikes or attached a link to another site where the photo is hosted. The second option is better, IMO. All of my photos are on a Smug Mug page and it lets me choose the size of the attachment, from small to huge. If you go the the OldMiniBikes general forum there's a stickie at the top of the page that shows how to post photos.

Last edited:
The hunt for this bike took several years.

I have had many bikes in my 51 years from mini bikes, Honda 125 twin, DT 250, CBX, V-Max ect... but with out question my favorite was the 77 RD 400. Looked exactly like your bike but had black expansion chambers.
The smell and sound of a 2-stroke on the street puts a smile on my face still.

My brother BeeKeeper had the Suzuki 2-Stroke triplets, the GT 380, 550 & 750 water Buffalo but none were as "spirited and snappy" as the RD 400.

Fun Fact: If you don't follow through when kick starting it the motor can start and run backwards ... ask me how I know!

Tom, that bike is a work of art and 2-stroke prices just keep going up ... she is a keeper!!

Last edited:
The smell and sound of a 2-stroke on the street puts a smile on my face still.
:thumbsup: I'm also a long time fan of old two strokes. I had a 305 Suzuki I rode the wheels off of. My friend had the GT550. Later on in the USMC, a bunch of guys had the Kawi H-series.

Just for the heck of it, there's a pretty nice RD 350 on Craigslist in O.C. (California) right now. I cant now afford any of the bikes we used to run in the 70's. :laugh:

:thumbsup: I'm also a long time fan of old two strokes. I had a 305 Suzuki I rode the wheels off of. My friend had the GT550. Later on in the USMC, a bunch of guys had the Kawi H-series.

Just for the heck of it, there's a pretty nice RD 350 on Craigslist in O.C. (California) right now. I cant now afford any of the bikes we used to run in the 70's. :laugh:
That's the truth! I used to pick up those bikes at the curb on trash night.

I pulled 40 Japanese bikes out of a barn- free, because the owner needed to tear down the barn. There was over 2000 bikes in there, most went to scrap.

WrenchDad

My buddy's brother had one of those. Love those 80s cruisers! :thumbsup:
That bike was the carbon copy to the Vulcan 750 (other than engine) and was exactly 1/2 the Ninja 900 (908cc ) 10,000 Red line 6 speed 50 HP.
Ugly fast for that little bike. the EN 440 was 27 HP and The EN 500 was only 37HP. I dropped the clutch (by accident) once on a quick start at a red light to turn left, after a sky view and a pucker check a guy on the side walk clapped for me. Little did he know I wasn't showing off. I paid attention to my clutch work a little closer after that.

At 95% parts American made that's a lot more then any jap bikes. I'm not saying I wouldn't own a foreign made bike but now that I can I wouldn't buy anything but American products.

Not to many years ago a lawmaker wanted to create a law that would require a certain percent of a product be made in the good old U.S.A. to be able to wear a "Made in U.S.A." label and Harley fought it tooth and nail, because none of their bikes would meet the criteria. As a matter of fact, at that time the Honda Gold Wing was the only bike that would. I don't have time right now to look up the actual article but it was surprising.
I think 95% American made is way off the mark, as I look at my Brother's 2014 Tour Glide, I see forks, levers, tires, wheels, hubs, lights, throttle body, injectors, electrical harness all made overseas and that is at a glance. It is what it is.....If you like it, ride it!

MB165

I worked on a RZ350 about 20 years ago....... still remember how easy it was to pull wheelies on, lots of fun, I kept it a extra day to test ride....:001_tongue:

Last edited: