Mud Flap

For years now I have been removing mud with a putty knife and high pressure hose. The trip I took on Sunday on the Trail King just covered my winter coat in a layer of mud. It took over 30 minutes to blast the mud off of the bike.
While it would be fun and Macho with the Boys to go blasting through the bog and end up covered in wet mud, it would not be fun to be covered in wet mud ten miles or more from the car. By the time I get to the car the mud would have dried. You can't get it off without a real fight when it turns into Adobe.
I had enough. I made a mud flap for the bike out of 1/8" steel plate, and old fiber reinforced floor mat and some nuts and bolts.
I found two unused holes in the cargo deck support frame that would hold the mud flap bracket in place.
I brazed on two 1x1" steel blocks and drilled/threaded them to the steel plate that I bent to clear the rear tire and hold the mud flap material.
I made a stainless steel retaining plate that goes along the top edge the whole length of the mud flap which squeezes the rubber flap between the bracket and plate. The flap cannot fall/tear off.
mudflap.jpg

mudflap2.jpg