Muffler Installation

T-Town Mini

Pretty easy...you just screw it in, right? Well, what if it keeps wanting to loosen up all on its own? I would like to find a Jam Nut to lock the muffler onto the header and keep that from happening.

I found one in my pile of stuff but it's not the right size:

Right now I have the muffler screwed on using a strap wrench as tight as I can get it and, its secured with some safety wire. It's not coming off currently but, I'd still like to have the right kind of nut to install it correctly.

Where can I get one and what size do I need to order? If anybody has a part number or proper nomenclature to look up...I'd be grateful for the information.

Anyone else have the same sort of problem with the muffler coming unscrewed? What was your solution?

Last edited:

T-Town Mini

I would've never thought to look there. D'oh!

I've occasionally searched online and came up with nothing every time. :shrug:
Thanks for the simple solution.

I agree.^ However, the thin one looked closer to my original so that's why I went with it. The 1/2" Briggs lock ring is still available.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

T-Town Mini

Update:

This lock nut has proven to be more than satisfactory in retaining the muffler to the header on my Predator. After it was initially secured the muffler never loosened up. I took the muffler off once to coat it with high heat paint to match the header a year or so ago and, I've put a bunch of miles on it since. It's still holding on strong.

The concave shape to the nut is just enough to lock it in place with minimal tightening applied. This is a good cheap alternative for anyone having issues with a screw on muffler.