Murray Track 2 Softer Seat

TomH

The Murray Track 2 comes with a molded rubber seat. The hunk of rubber has two steel plates molded in crosswise underneath the seat. They are used to mount the seat at the front tube and the rear mono shock. It all fits in a plastic seat surround to complete the look. It looks cool, but I kept singing in a soprano voice when I rode the bike over bumps. I softened the shock up on the rear by drilling a hole in it, that helped, but I still wasn't happy with the ride.

So I decided to try to fix the seat. I knew nothing about upholstery, and that helped. I did know shooting staples into rubber probably wasn't going to hold, but what the hey, try it anyway. I did some research on the web, and made an educated wild a$$ guess on a course to take. a big problem was the shape of the seat itself. You can see how it it raised at the front of the seat, the saddle. I wanted to take that ball buster out. You can see the fuzzy foam at the front of the seat. That was sanded with a pad sander and medium grit paper.

TomH

While I was at it, I thought might as well make it wider so I glued foam on the sides. More sanding on the saddle area.

After I thought I had the reshape finished, I glued two inch soft foam to the harder blue foam. I stretched marine grade black vinyl over it all, stapled the heck out of it into the rubber, stuffed it into the plastic seat surround I shot some metal flake on and there it is. So far I have about four hours riding time on the seat and it is holding up. The seat problem is fixed, much better in an ahhhh kinda way. The riding position hunched over is still not right. too much pressure on arms neck and shoulders after a while. I have ordered some taller 13" bars, so I will see how that goes.

Before:

After:

TomH

Yeah I hear ya. I got some 13" ape hangers off of amazon. Scared the heck out of myself wheeling up the driveway after I put them on. I think I got it now. riding position is super comfortable, I can trail ride a long time and still walk the next day.:laugh: