My Dad

you know, i wish i had a good relationship with my old man, he recently told me hes ready to disown me if i screw him over :eek:ut:. when my son is older, i hope to give him the father, and the things i never had. he will be supported in whatever he decides to do :thumbsup:, i look up to you mmisterbungl, your the kinda guy i imagine myself to be when i get a little older. same with all the loving fathers on this forum.
Time changes things.
But time will also rob you of things if you let it slip by.

I don't know what your issues are, but if I ever gave any adivice that was worth listening too its this.
Figuere out some common ground and make good on the past.
There does not need to be forgiveness or excuses, just move forward.
One day you will look back and realize you made mistakes and pass up oppertunities to change things.
If you let these things pass by, you will be left bitter and alone.
You will be left explaing these things to your son and possibly repeating them.

Dads are not perfect, I don't think any of us here realy knew what we were doing when we became dads. The important thing is we look at the big picture.

My dad....

Since I was young enough to realize it, he was an alcoholic, couldn't keep a job, had a shitty way of dealing with people and thought he was better than everyone.

However, he is very smart, possibly the smartest man I've ever met. Could tell you about anything from data-server development to city planning, you name it, he knows something about it. Could explain it too.

Parents got divorced, we exchanged some less than pleasant words, and I haven't spoken to him in several months.

Point of my rather depressing post, if you have a Dad, cherish the moments you spend with him.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all.

That don't sound good. #1 why is he so pissed #2 is there a good reason for him to be so pissed #3 have you thought of #1 & #2 ....Great news dude you are still a kid there's time use it wisely.. Listen to every word I said because every word is very important...Dave
well hes pissed cause my sister robbed him for drug money, and yes, i have thought long and hard about 1 and 2 and i ain't done anything to piss him off, aside from havin a kid of my own

Big Jim

Love the "long handled pan dipper"!! It looks like somthing my grandpa would have engineered.
Glad your getting the chance to spend time with your pops Grant, and your son will be the wiser and richer from it!

My father was a drunk, piece of crap, he died alone. Nobody misses him. I didn't talk to him for 3 years before he died.
My stepdad raised me from the time I was about 2, great man, old school, but a GREAT man, better dad than he had to be to my brother and I. One of the most righteuos men I have known.

I had issues with dependecy to alchohol and drugs for about 15 years, my dad was always there, got sick of me hundreds of times but always had time, room and love to help me out.
I wish that I would have gotten sober sooner to enjoy my dad as a adult, one of my few regrets....
I made a vow to myself to be at least half the man my dad was to me, for my son.

That's terrific stuff Grant. The "area" reminds me A LOT of my old man's garage. Packed with so many things that mostly don't make any sense to keep because they're "junk" on the surface, but whenever we need something, it usually only takes a few minutes of rummaging and a little imagination and we've got it.

Dads are a funny thing. Mine is my best friend, biggest critic, spiritual advisor, mentor, major pain in my a$$, all of the above. The older I get, the more HE seems to know.

The funny part is that my 14 year old son came to me the other day referring to some advice I had given him recently (that he did not follow) and said, "Why are you always right about everything?! It's very frustrating." I had to laugh because I am very often wrong about a great many things. It's a little frightening that I'm my kids only template for how to make it through the world, but I do my best. My dad certainly wasn't / isn't perfect, but he's still my standard for how to be a good man.

It made me think about the whole father/son cycle.... If I actually am getting any wiser with age, the most important thing I can learn is that my father is always going to be wiser still. And my only hope is that my sons will someday see me the way I now see my old man.

Unlike many of the guys on here, there's a better than average chance that my dad (ibspector01) will read this, so in the spirit of Thanksgiving....... Thanks dad!!

I need prayers, folks. My dad suffered a stroke last night around midnight in his sleep. I'm in ICU down in Corpus Christi with him now. He is pulling along very well but needs all the prayers he can get. Thanks in advance.

bandit 40

Grant , my friend Im sorry to hear of your dads illness, :no: my family and I will indeed say a prayer for your dad and keep him in our thoughts ,I hope things work out for you and him keep your head up buddy...

grant, the long dipper pot, i think was to keep your dads old hip in,
i bet he told the docters he wonts the old one,just in case he can put it
to use someday,!!

zeeman

Grant, I am very sorry to hear about your father's illness. I pray that God's will will be done in your lives, and that your family will receive comfort from him. Stay strong buddy. Wes