My first Heald Super Bronc

Sprocket86

I have finally purchased a mini bike that I have wanted for a very long time. It's an early 70's VT-8.

Very complete bike with many correct parts. It needs final adjustment and I need to completely rewire it. I love tinkering and perfecting my mini bikes.

The original Carlisle 21x12-8 chevron 2ply tires have defiantly seen better days. They have tubes in them currently.

Can these exact tires be purchased new? I just love the look of them. Would anyone have a wiring diagram for these bikes?

Also, would anyone have a detailed photo of how the Nelson muffler is mounted to either the frame or rear fender?

Thanks. IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1487.jpg IMG_1488.jpg IMG_1489.jpg

I have finally purchased a mini bike that I have wanted for a very long time. It's an early 70's VT-8.

Very complete bike with many correct parts. It needs final adjustment and I need to completely rewire it. I love tinkering and perfecting my mini bikes.

The original Carlisle 21x12-8 chevron 2ply tires have defiantly seen better days. They have tubes in them currently.

Can these exact tires be purchased new? I just love the look of them. Would anyone have a wiring diagram for these bikes?

Also, would anyone have a detailed photo of how the Nelson muffler is mounted to either the frame or rear fender?

Thanks. View attachment 298222 View attachment 298223 View attachment 298224 View attachment 298225
This old thread should help.
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-need-vt-8-super-bronc-wiring-schematics.149966/

Regarding the tires… those Carlisle 21x12-8s are the same as the original meats on my Sperry Tricubs and they have been out-of-print for a while. Carlisle had a good replacement, AT 21x11-8, but these were also discontinued about a decade ago. Now closest replacement I’ve found is the Carlisle AT101 21x11-8. These are similar to the originals, but chevron tread is more aggressive... more like an ag-type tread. There are many similar sized ATV tires available with knobby or modern hybrid treads, but trying to maintain the vintage original look is currently a challenge.

@Sprocket86 ...congratulations !

What a great find.

First vt-8 that I've seen with the electric start panel, and chevrons too.

I think you will love the way it rides.

Keep us posted.
Thank you and I feel pretty lucky to own this. Sold a few other vintage bikes to make room for this one.

Himm that's interesting. I don't know much about all the various configurations. I figured all 8HP Broncs had electric start.

I just love the look of the chevron tread balloon tires. I would really like to find another set.

I found some Carlisle AT101 4 ply chevron tread tires. Being 4 ply vs the original 2ply, I feel they would be too stiff and heavy.

I'm going to post more pics. It needs to be completely rewired from scratch.

Some build updates.

Went through the torque converter and band brake set up. Jackshaft was worn where it rides on the bearing inner race. Cleaned up the keyway with a file and flipped it around, problem solved. I notice the torque converter backing plate is slightly bent. The jackshaft and engine crankshaft are not parallel.

I made a rear axle bearing crush tube. It was missing and one of the bearings had blown the snap ring land off. Replaced both bearings.

I noticed the left upper fork leg was ground down and looked like someone had been at it. The forks and springs needed grease badly. I disassembled everything only to find out the left fork spring had been cut short and the left upper portion of the fork leg tube was stuffed with what seemed like a stack of welded washers. F*#7! lol The right side is completely intact. The front suspension still functions but it still sucks to find this. I'll add a wide upper fork to the want list. I got a laugh at what they use for fork springs in these bikes lol.

The front headlight is pretty cool. Has a GE bulb and looks to have hi lo beam? IMG_1497.jpg IMG_1496.jpg

Hey right on. What model do you have? Post a few pics if you can. They made so many variations of these bikes.

this is mine....when I got this one he had one like yours, key and all but the back was chevron and the front was a "replacement" tire. That bike was on the west side of MI for its whole life and so was the owner. They are cool bikes for sure!

Attachments