My goal is 60mph need tips

8 inch wheels are not mini bike wheels. Of course sixty is "doable" with them. There are already plenty of scooters doing it.
I'm old school too, I don't believe a mini bike should have anything larger than 6" wheels, But... there are "mini bikes" that use 8" wheels, Azusa's 8" spinners for example, I don't really like them but to each their own. The Michelin S83's don't look like scooter tires either and look really cool when you paint the raised lettering white.

Last edited:
I'm old school too, I don't believe a mini bike should have anything larger than 6" wheels, But... there are "mini bikes" that use 8" wheels, Azusa's 8" spinners for example, I don't really like them but to each their own. The Michelin S83's don't look like scooter tires either and look really cool when you paint the raised lettering white.
We've had the mini cycle vs mini bike discussion here before. If the knowledgeable folks who've participated in this thread thus far had assumed he was talking about 8" wheels, they wouldn't have responded as they did.

I have a Tote Gote with white wall 8" Shinko SR550's which are DOT-rated to 60 MPH. It not a mini bike either.

Also, gear ratio and speed charts become fairly useless when computing those kinds of speeds. If the engine can't maintain the RPM either because you blew it up, or because it doesn't have the torque to manage a gear ratio sufficient to maintain that speed. We can be theoretical all day long. My current build with six inch wheels, and a modified 4HP flat head Tecumseh will theoretically do 49.

Ok some I'm doing some research or what angle on gonna want my rake at but it definitely can't be as vertical as it is now and need alot of frame reenforcement and I've found some front forks from other vintage minibikes that have shocks and should be the same bolt, I'm also gonna end up on 8" wheels because 6 just doesn't feel as safe and I was looking into tires with a curve so there not flat on the bottom but ya I have some math to do and then it will be Abit before I post again as I'm doing the frame as a project for my engineering class I'll post pictures once I've got the frame done thanks to all of you for the advice

We've had the mini cycle vs mini bike discussion here before. If the knowledgeable folks who've participated in this thread thus far had assumed he was talking about 8" wheels, they wouldn't have responded as they did.

I have a Tote Gote with white wall 8" Shinko SR550's which are DOT-rated to 60 MPH. It not a mini bike either.

Also, gear ratio and speed charts become fairly useless when computing those kinds of speeds. If the engine can't maintain the RPM either because you blew it up, or because it doesn't have the torque to manage a gear ratio sufficient to maintain that speed. We can be theoretical all day long. My current build with six inch wheels, and a modified 4HP flat head Tecumseh will theoretically do 49.
I couldn't agree more but he seems dead set on making a pinto do 60mph. My personal opinion would be for him to get a purpose built frame too. I don't think 8" wheels on a pinto would look right and may be to big for the bike but the easiest and cheapest way to get more speed is a bigger tire. The only reason I suggested 8" is because they are the smallest tires that I know of that are speed rated to 60mph and I don't want to be the guy to recommend an unsafe option. A nearly stock predator 212 will handle 5000-5500rpm with just a valve spring upgrade, governor adjustment and perhaps a little carb tweaking ( that'll get you in the 50mph range ). The cheapest/safest way to get close to his goal to me would be a slightly modified small block and larger speed rated tires amongst a few frame, steering and brake upgrades, making a small tire bike hit 60mph starts getting expensive pretty fast, if cost isn't an issue, go with a highly modified small block, small tires and appropriate safety gear.

OP

There are guys on this forum with fabrication (welding/machining) you will need to build a 60 MPH mini bike. Once you start cutting the frame you can make it so it will hold about any engine you chose. Gearing, likely with a jack shaft, tire size and what RPM the motor will make can be calculated to get a projected "top speed"...although rider weight will affect that.

What you will wind up with is a purpose built bike vs the more traditional put put 25 mph "mini" bike