my gx160 is flooded with oil. Help please.

I was trying to change the oil in my gx160, well not successfully. I got a bottle of oil from the store and i read that to change the oil to tilt the bike backwards so that the oil will drain from the back drain plug. I thought it was empty so i read on the gx160 manual to put .6 liters of oil in. I attempted to do so with a funnel but the oil started pouring out of the funnel plug just as quickly as i would pour it. so i basically wasnt filling it at all. then since the bike had been on its side, i noticed that oil was dripping from the air filter so it got in the carbeurator, then i tilted it back to normal and tried to start it and oil was dripping from the exhaust, i took off the exhaust and the engine felt as if it has seized and has really high compression and if i tried to pull the cord, oil would pour from the exhaust hole. i turned the crakshaft with a wrench because the cord wouldnt pull and oil started pouring out more, i repeated until there was no more oil coming from the exhaust hole, then put the muffler back on, the pull cord worked as usual now but the engine wouldnt start. so pretty much I got my engine soaked with oil, its in the carbeurator, in the cylinder (on the piston and all that) and my motor wont start. I havnt changed oil on a small engine and i guess you learn from your mistakes. i feel so stupid:doah:
Anyway if anyone has any tips on what i can do to get all the oil out of my carb and cylinder, then that would be great. Also, i figured the oil in the engine will settle in the crankcase since it is right side up now, im mainly worried about the carb.
any help would be great

also, if the engine doesn't want to turn over forcing it to is not a good idea. you could have just pulled the side cover to get the oil out.

ya i bet you feel stupid , dont feel to bad done some of the same meself:doah: . i would pull the plug and spray some carb cleaner , (or pour gas in the carb and flood it ,a ounce should do ) in the hole and in the carb . then with the ing off(you dont want a spark ) pull the rope over to help get all the oil/ gas carb cleaner out of the cylinder . oil will spray out so put a shop rage over the spark plug hole to catch it if you want . the motor will smoke like hell when it first starts and for a little bit after . just the oil burning off no big deal . your spark plug may be ok , clean it with carb spray and try it . ya may need a new plug soon .
thing to remember is if you must tip a motor is dont tip the breather down . if you must tip it that way plug the breather line to the carb . to stop the oil from flooding into the carb . if you have it happen again take the plug out then turn it over and get the oil out before trying to start it . it saves the abuse on the rope and stuff .

and forcing motors to turn over with a wrench is a real good way to break things or wreck head gaskets . if you cant pull it over find out why and fix it dont force it , unless your ready to replace some parts

Last edited:
Ok well i put carb cleaner in the carb as well as rinsed the carb with gas and took out the spark plug and put gas in the plug hole.
I tried the old spark plug but it did not work so i looked at the number on the plug and it says BPR6ES and the only one i could find was BR6ES. would this one work ok? I bought it because i didnt want to make another trip to the store. Thanks

well most spark plugs have the same size and thread on the base . so if the new one is the same length and size ,and dont bind going in ya it should work fine .
just make sure that the base threaded part is the same as the old one . like not longer or different thread . i have found that over 15 different plug numbers fit in a briggs . same size plug different numbers .

This is an old thread but i still want to get this running. I tried everything and put in a new spark plug and cleaned the carb with carb cleaner. it wont start. I would get someone to do it but i dont know how much it would cost. i dont know whats wrong

I still need to empty the oil and put new oil in. there may be way too much or too little in it. could this cause it not to start?

Is the oil currently up to the threads. That engine probably has a low oil shut off. I may sound silly but make sure the oil is at the proper level and give her a little shake, to make sure that sensor isn't stuck... Or just disconnect it. I had one giving me some trouble in an engine that is slant mounted. Make sure you are getting spark. You can pull the plug and ground it to the head. pull it over. there will be no compression, so this is easily done. you'll see it spark. could always try sparying some starter fluid in there too. You may have gotten the flywheel and coil saturated with oil. Next try taking the recoil and housing off then clean that out. Those are my thoughts as for now. Good Luck getting her going. I hope this helps.

ya i bet you feel stupid , dont feel to bad done some of the same meself:doah: . i would pull the plug and spray some carb cleaner , (or pour gas in the carb and flood it ,a ounce should do ) in the hole and in the carb . then with the ing off(you dont want a spark ) pull the rope over to help get all the oil/ gas carb cleaner out of the cylinder . oil will spray out so put a shop rage over the spark plug hole to catch it if you want . the motor will smoke like hell when it first starts and for a little bit after . just the oil burning off no big deal . your spark plug may be ok , clean it with carb spray and try it . ya may need a new plug soon .
thing to remember is if you must tip a motor is dont tip the breather down . if you must tip it that way plug the breather line to the carb . to stop the oil from flooding into the carb . if you have it happen again take the plug out then turn it over and get the oil out before trying to start it . it saves the abuse on the rope and stuff .

and forcing motors to turn over with a wrench is a real good way to break things or wreck head gaskets . if you cant pull it over find out why and fix it dont force it , unless your ready to replace some parts
its possible that I could have broken something when I turned it with a wrench.

have you pulled the valve cover / head to make sure everything is fine there? since you were forcing it to turn over it's possible you bent the push rods or something. it's hard to say without totally taking the engine apart and knowing what you're looking at.

i'd also check to make sure you didn't somehow shear the flywheel key during all of this. that seems very unlikely though.

65ShelbyClone

I tried the old spark plug but it did not work so i looked at the number on the plug and it says BPR6ES and the only one i could find was BR6ES. would this one work ok?
The difference between those two plugs is that the BPR6ES has a projected tip and the BR6ES doesn't, hence the P (or lack thereof) in the part number. Either will work.

You didn't say whether the engine has spark or not. Does it? Will the engine fire on ether?

Is the oil currently up to the threads. That engine probably has a low oil shut off. I may sound silly but make sure the oil is at the proper level and give her a little shake, to make sure that sensor isn't stuck... Or just disconnect it. I had one giving me some trouble in an engine that is slant mounted. Make sure you are getting spark. You can pull the plug and ground it to the head. pull it over. there will be no compression, so this is easily done. you'll see it spark. could always try sparying some starter fluid in there too. You may have gotten the flywheel and coil saturated with oil. Next try taking the recoil and housing off then clean that out. Those are my thoughts as for now. Good Luck getting her going. I hope this helps.
Well good news and bad news. The first thing I did was disconnect the low oil sensor. I didn't know which cord was the low oil sensor so I disconnected all 3 cords. I pulled the pullstart and it started first pull! but then it started roving real high and I had to hold it back I turned the gas line off and it stopped after 15 seconds. This is cause my linkage needs work. I then reconnected the cords one by one and then I tried starting it and it wouldn't so I unplugged them all once again and now it doesn't start at all.
what im thinking is that I connected a wire wrong and fried the electric system.

I don't know. Any recomendations

I'm betting the low oil sensor is to blame. Is the oil filled to the proper level?? *Remember*** Take Your Time *** Label things. Look at where they go and how they work. Keep at it. You'll figure it out. Oh, one more thing. read the owners manual if you have it. I'm glad to hear you got it running. Now we know it runs. :thumbsup:

assuming you hooked everything back up the way it was. It really leads me to believe the low oil sensor is the cause. however it could be a shorted wire somewhere. The wire that comes out of the case through a bolt is the one that goes into the oil sensor. disconnect that one and leave the other connected to the kill switch. Make sure the kill switch is on and fire her up. Then go have some fun with it.

Last edited:
I'm betting the low oil sensor is to blame. Is the oil filled to the proper level?? *Remember*** Take Your Time *** Label things. Look at where they go and how they work. Keep at it. You'll figure it out. Oh, one more thing. read the owners manual if you have it. I'm glad to hear you got it running. Now we know it runs. :thumbsup:

assuming you hooked everything back up the way it was. It really leads me to believe the low oil sensor is the cause. however it could be a shorted wire somewhere. The wire that comes out of the case through a bolt is the one that goes into the oil sensor. disconnect that one and leave the other connected to the kill switch. Make sure the kill switch is on and fire her up. Then go have some fun with it.
Yes It ran for a minute without any wire connected but after I reconnected them it wouldn't start. So I disconnected them again and now it still wont start. I frustrated cause I had it running. I know it running had something to do with the wires being disconnected

If you have them disconnected make sure they aren't shorting out on the block somewhere. Check the plug to see if it is wet. You may have flooded the engine while trying to start it. Clean it up and check the gap. Keep us posted.

No. I tried a few things but i figure if it wont start with the wires disconnected then it wont start with any of them connected. The wires wont make a difference.
what i did try is pulling the plug and replacing it. but i dont know how to test for spark (im a noob) so i dont know if it was even neccesary.
I dont really know what to try next. its weird how it started and now it wont

When i got it to start i used the gas switch for a kill switch. is that bad? is this why it wont start?