My Simplex Challenger

DSC00953.JPG simp1.jpg simp2.jpg spkt1.jpg spkt2.jpg A few years ago, I saw this on craigslist near my residence. It was offered with a 5 hp Briggs flattie as part of the deal. It was also cheap......
When I got it home I discovered that it was an old Simplex Challenger race kart from about 1961-64. The rear of the frame has been changed, but otherwise it is all there. So I disassembled it and had it media blasted and powdercoated its original black. Then new upholstery was made from the old stuff used as a template. The 5 hp Briggs went on my Ruttman Toad minibike. So I put on a BSP clone and it runs great. The original 80 tooth rear sprocket is designed to bolt on the left rear wheel and also utilize a 5" brake drum. Then both wheels go onto a splined rear axle so it has a live axle setup. Well, I wanted a 60 tooth rear, so my brother Frank fabbed me a 5" steel drum with a 60t chainring. This particular red painted steel BMI wheelset is used with the 60t sprocket. The original 80t will be used with the original aluminum wheels sometime after the kart gets some track time.

I have a 1960-61 Simplex Challenger MkII which I think is the model that precedes yours... or yours precedes mine. Mine came with B&S, but it would have originally come with 2 Clinton A100s. It currently has a West Bend 820 on it. :) A previous owner did some major frame damage and did a really poor job of repairing the damage. I fixed and modified it, and the stretched the frame so I could fit.

I have a 1960-61 Simplex Challenger MkII which I think is the model that precedes yours... or yours precedes mine. Mine came with B&S, but it would have originally come with 2 Clinton A100s. It currently has a West Bend 820 on it. :) A previous owner did some major frame damage and did a really poor job of repairing the damage. I fixed and modified it, and the stretched the frame so I could fit.
Thanks for responding-if you look at mine, the entire rear section was modified... No rear bumper, original steering wheel,or dual engine mount. I don't know why people do these things to old karts....So mine will always be only a resto mod. The purists at the vintage kart meets would probably sneer at my four cycle BSP engine, but it always starts and was a lot cheaper than an original West Bend or Clinton....