My Trail Horse

I have been stripping my Trail Horse for a rebuild. This weekend is paint. No where on the bike is the words, Trail Horse. But, riveted on the front panel was this little gem. Is this possibly one that was built for JC Penney, Sears, etc.?

THplate.jpg

There are no catalogs from Sears or JC Penneys showing General Appliance built bikes. I am interested in this label though. Do you have any pictures of the rest of the bike and the fork plate itself?

Last edited:
Definitely has the Trail Blazer style wide bars. Hope you can post some more pics of the wheels and such. Does it have a clutch brake, jack shaft brake or rear band brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely has the Trail Blazer style wide bars. Hope you can post some more pics of the wheels and such. Does it have a clutch brake, jack shaft brake or rear band brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, Definitely not Trail Horse style bars. Interested in other parts of the bike. What engine was on it when you bought it? Is it the original seat just recovered and did you take a picture of the original seat material? Is there a model number label on the top bars under the seat?

It had a Briggs 2.5 on it, as shown in the signature pic. The seat was just a small piece of 1/2 inch plywood. Originally it was a piece of standard seating foam covered with gortex camo material. Then someone decided to cover that with the black vinyl. As an ectra not, the fenders are not original. They are the generic replacement steel fenders with washers welded to them to accommodate the original mounting tabs on the forks and frame.
The front forks were the traveling suspension type, but they too have been welded so they no longer flex.

Okay, so I'm not saying it's not original to the bike. But I would think the paint underneath would have been one solid color not like it is with the black line running across diagonally. Was the emblem riveted on or screwed on? What are the other letters on the emblem. It looks like REMFR? Maybe this was some private type labeled bike done for promotion. I have a tape measure and darts for a company called Allen Bradley here in Milwaukee that were given out to employees. Maybe Timberlake Inc. gave away a minibike for a bonus.

Last edited:
General Appliance did supply bikes to various companies to be sold under their private label. My understanding is that it was the Trail Blazer models that were sold this way.

General Appliance did supply bikes to various companies to be sold under their private label. My understanding is that it was the Trail Blazer models that were sold this way.
Do you have any information that backs this? The reason I ask is that I recently acquired a General Leisure Products Service and Parts Manual which is the last name General Appliance went by before they became Arctic Cat. At the bottom of the manual after the address it lists "A Subsidiary of Arctic Enterprises Inc." In this manual there is a section of minibikes listed with only a couple of models. One is for the Whisper Jet. Then there are two Trail Horse Models GTO-101X and GTO-300X. Then two Trail Blazer models LTD-250 and LTD-350. My guess is that these might be the bikes to be used for private labels. that's why I was hoping that bikesisbikes had his model number tag.

Last edited:
The paint I have uncovered is a light blue. There is a tan/cream color too, but I believe that was the original primer. This bike has been familiar with Mickey Mouse and a few other bastardizers in it's life. From the kick stand being hand made and placed on the wrong, (right) side to the forks being welded. The motor mount has extra holes drilled in it, so I have no doubt the original motor was something entirely different. The front wheel looked to be original. Just a plain wheel with a sheet metal/stamped cap and a couple spacers. Having said that, I don't think I have not seen another one on any pic I have looked at.
The extra letters, (great eye, BTW), are: REMFR I wonder if that could stand for: Re-manufactured?

Last edited:
Arctic Cat took over GA when they went bankrupt. They set up General Leisure to supply repair parts and to assemble bikes from existing parts inventory. Some of these late assembled bikes (1972 and later) were a blend of Arctic Cat and GA parts. A friend of mine worked there for GA, another friend worked there for AC. All of the AC lawn equipment items were made there.

Arctic Cat took over GA when they went bankrupt. They set up General Leisure to supply repair parts and to assemble bikes from existing parts inventory. Some of these late assembled bikes (1972 and later) were a blend of Arctic Cat and GA parts. A friend of mine worked there for GA, another friend worked there for AC. All of the AC lawn equipment items were made there.
Yea, I actually have two of these manuals. One lists 1969-1970-1971 and the other 1969-1970-1971-1972. the second shows the blended bikes. Arctic Cat frames with Trail Horse/Trail Blazer forks.

I got a trail horse with a Salisbury tc unit on it and sale 2 more for sale with same set up. Could this be an example of what you're talking about dick?
Unfortunately Karl, There is no listing in my manuals of a bike set up like that. but that doesn't mean it didn't leave the factory like that. Maybe special order or employee made. That's kind of why I told you that you should have left that bike the way it was instead of parting it out.

Last edited: