My Uncles tribute

My Uncle,David Trepes, was a patrolman on the Maple Heights Ohio Police Department for 13 years,from 1970 to 1983 til a car accident forced him into early retirement.Growing up,I was always very close with my Uncle Dave and my Aunt Mary Lou and my two cousins,we are only a couple years apart in age from each other so we all grew up together and they are more like a brother and sister to me then cousins.I spent many days and nights at my aunt and Uncles place when I was a kid.Many great memories.

My Uncle passed away in 2008 from a long illness.
It was so surreal to see him in the end,He had wasted away so much from his illness,it was hard for me to grasp that this was the same 6'3 260lb man I had grown up knowing.It really hit me pretty hard.The day of his funeral it was snowing those big fat snow flakes that seem to cling to everything they land on.The police honor guard played taps and fired off the 3 volley salute,it was like a scene from a movie.Wasn't a dry eye there.

Last month my Aunt sold her house.My mom went over to help my aunt pack up her things when they came across some boxes in the basement.Inside one of the boxes was my Uncle Daves service Belt and a couple uniform patches from when he was on the force.
My Aunt thought that I would like to have them,she said to think of it as a last gift from Uncle Dave.

Choked me up,let me tell ya.

Anyway,today I went to a gun show at the Cuyahoga county fairgrounds.Sitting on one of the last tables I passed by on my way to the exit was a Smith and Wesson model 10 former police service revolver just like the one my uncle carried in his days on the force.
The blued finish was in pretty bad shape from holster wear.The wood grips are all scapped and scared and worn.
I picked it up and found that this gun,though pretty banged up cosmetically,was in perfect working order,the rifling in the barrel was perfect.
And the price was pretty low so I bought it.

My Uncle was an avid hunter and fisherman he also loved going to the range and shooting a couple boxes of ammo whenever he could.As soon as I can,Im going to bring this old cop pistol down to the range and fire off a couple boxes for Uncle Dave,he would've liked that.

Hi

Hello,

Weird that I came across this. I met your Uncle under some strange circumstances. However, I had a favorite Uncle myself who was also a Dave. He had a massive heart attack when he was 52 years old. He was a big tall strong Irish guy, so was unbelievable as well when it happened. Your story brought up some great memories for me. Thx.