Neat site

marvin

I haven't thought about old mini bikes for decades until today. It's pretty neat finding them here. I grew up thinking one and a gallon of gas was perfection. Along those lines way back then (mid to late 1960's) someone in our subdivision had what basically looked like a huge mini bike. I know it had pull starting and it seems like some kind of little chain drive on the front wheel in addition to the rear chain drive but I may be wrong about the front wheel drive. I know the tires were huge and he used to say either the tires or wheels could carry extra fuel. (now it doesn't make sense but I was a kid so didn't question it at the time.) He also said the tires were so large that they'd keep it afloat, just on it's side like a raft. Of couse that seemed neat at the time too but now not so practical. Anyway anyone have any idea what those were or anything about them. If my memory is correct I think it was 2 stroke, the tires looked like tractor tires almost with solid hubs. I think bright yellow was the only color they came in and it seems like it had no headlight which as I recall bothered me since a headlight seemed vital to me, even the flickering dim lights on mini bikes at the time.
I may be wrong on the years, my parents gave me a Honda CB 350 for my birthday when I hit 16 about 30 years ago. The years prior we worked up from lawn mower engine mini bikes to larger things the previous 5 or 6 years maybe.
Anyway I love going down memory lane and this site tripped a lot of memories. Thanks

Hent

Hey Marvin,

Thanks for the comment on the site, I really appreciate it.

I think the bike you'd be looking for is this:

http://www.rokonworld.com/start

There aren't any pictures or info of those on here (yet!), I've looked into those bikes -- they're really neat.

Let me know if this helps :)

marvin

THAT'S IT!! That's exactly how I remember it, I don't remember his having a kick starter along with the pull start. I went to the Rokon site, I had no idea they were still being made. I even read in one of the old brochures there that they too marketed the floating and reserve fuel thing. It seems though that even if it floated it would be upside down rather than on it's side like a raft. The neighbor who had these had 3 I think and was trying to be a distributor or something. Even the bright yellow is dead on, it's amazing how the photo clicks in my mind. Thanks guys, Marvin

The Trailbreaker will climb anything the rider has the guts to ride it over. My dad had 1 back in late 70s, early 80s....a 22" snow occured.....trailbreaker was the only thing going the next AM due to St Louis not prepared for a 22' snow. No roads had been touched. 4WD couldnt go as their frt axles were plowing snow with it being that deep. The old Trail breakers were 3 speed side shifted with a Westbend 2 stroke. They had a top speed of less than 10mph in high(3rd) gear. You can put frt tire agaisnt picnic table bench and throttle the bike and ride over the bench, table and other side bench with 2WD.