Need B&S model number please help

I have a B&S I/C that came with a Dune Cat I am restoring. I need some help identifying the model number so I can get gaskets and other parts. The model number that was stamped on starter shroud is illegible. I have already removed the carb, muffler and gas tank. IF those items are needed to identify this engine I can easily bolt them back on and take more pictures. I'm really just looking to split the case and remove the governor parts as I will be running a Mikuni VM 22-133 carb and the governor will be unnecessary. I also want tro replace the seals and gaskets because it does seep a little oil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

MB165

good engine for a performance build......this will get you the gaskets you need: model 133432 Type 0038-02

Last edited:
I also need a model number...
I got a OHV engine today. I can't find a model number anywhere on it. It has a Family number of YBSXS.2051HF
Here are some pics.
Also what hp is this?
Danford1

Harquebus

Danford1: it's on the side of the valve cover. Weird huh?

Or it's supposed to be. I looked on your hi-res photos and didn't see anything faint....

Last edited:
It isn't on the valve cover. It was probably on the heat shield that is missing...
Any way to tell if this is a 5.5hp, 6.0hp, 6.5 hp ?

Danford1

[MENTION=56753]mikey9821[/MENTION] it looks like your thread was hijacked! As MB165 said, your engine is a good base to modify. Since you're removing the governor and going with the VM22, you might consider a higher performance flywheel, and a hotter cam shaft. With the response and fuel delivery you'll get out of the carb, it will really wake up the engine, yet not be so high compression that you need a welding glove to start it.

CarplayLB, MB165 a few others can probably offer some specific suggestions.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
When I start a new thread I get the "double post" warnings...
What am I supposed to do? I'm trying not to double post...
Confused
Danford1

PS I sent an apology PM to mikey9821 about hijacking his thread.

Last edited:
Don't worry danford1. I understand the frustrations that can come from posting questions of forums. I can see both sides of the argument. damned if you do, damned if you don't.

[MENTION=31239]Havasu Dave[/MENTION], I'm stoked that I ended up with a motor that has some good performance potential. However for now, it will remain basically stock. It's for a Dune Cat for my 4 and 6 year old girls. Maybe after they get some seat time I'll start tunning it up.

Please help! I just ruined the side cover and cam. It chewed the side cover for some reason after I had taken it apart to remove the govonor parts. I need a replacement side cover and cam. Can anyone help? Also, does the side cover gasket serve as a shim? Or can I just use some red RTV?