Need Help. Clone Won't Start After Sitting

I got hurt recently and could not ride so my mild build clone sat for 4 months. I was an idiot and did not put any Stabil in it. I recently tried ot start it and no go. So I took off the Mikuni 22 clone and cleaned it out. I took out the needle and seat and the two jets. Blew carb cleaner through everything and then blew compressed air through all the passages. It still wont start. I can get it to fire on starting fluid so I know I have spark but ti dies just after light off. I am getting gas in the carb bowl. I can see the the gas through the line and saw it in the bowl during on of the many disassemblies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Whats really funny, my bone stock Honda 5.5 started right up and has been running great.

Not a stupid question and I should have said it. I drained the tank and added new gas. I should also state that I have the idle mixture 2.4 turns out of bottom out which should be enough to get it going. What else can I check? Does anyone know what the best float setting is?

trinik7597

See if she pops on carb cleaner or starting fluid sprayed in the carb ... Probably will !! If so you need to remove the carb and clean the thing real good . jets and all simple fix . 15 mins tops

trinik7597

I should have read your whole post sorry !!! Your jets aren't clean !!! Do it again . hold them up to a light source and make sure you can see clearly through them . it doesn't take much to block it

Thanks guys. I will clean the jets again. I have gone through them twice with a piece of brass wire, soaked them in carb cleaner and blew them out with compressed air, both ways to ensure I did not lodge something in there. I have also looked through them and saw daylight throught them. But you never know, I could have missed something. Will report back once I have done that.

I pulled everything apart yesterday and everything was clear. I even took pictures to prove it but i don't think I need to post them as it is now running. When I pulled the carb apart I checked the fuel level and it seemed low. So I readjusted the float level. I also turned the idle mixture screw in the 1/2 turn out from bottom. Boom it started and idled. Looks like the whole issue was the float and mixture. Thankfully it runs good, it just does not stop well. I have some work to do there but at least it runs. Thanks guys.

trinik7597

enough fuel in the bowl was the next thing i was going to ask you about :thumbsup: but it sounds like you got it !! should be fine now ...