need help on CAT 250X forks

can anyone please post pictures of your forks if they are perfectly straight? mine are 90% straight, one side seems to go about an inch more back than the other though. dont know if one is pushed back or the other is pushed forward. please post pictures of side to side, top and bottom, and how they look on the frame from a riders view please! thanks a lot!

P.S. once i find out which one is off, what would be the best way to fix this?

Last edited:
Look in the gallery and cat brochure. the bars are straight with the forks and easy to fix. I had to bend one of mine.

Last edited:
We've had very good luck using a tree. Wedge the fork in the fork of some large trunks, and give pressure. Helps to have 2 people to control the bend better. Sometimes it helps to have one guy push and one guy pull.

Have also used a hydraulic press using short pieces of 2x4 wood to support the forks in different areas to influence where it bends.

Your 250X forks should be straight up and down. No bends. The 300x also has straight forks, but 2 piece. The 400x has bars bent forward, but use the lower forks of the 300x

Also make sure you put the axle in the forks as soon as you get them lined up enough to go in. Then after the axle is in you can bend more evenly and stay lined up.

On my cat (and first bend ever) I took everything off the front, laid it down on strategically placed 2x4's and one on top where it's going to take the blow, then out came MR sledge hammer. :eek:

Works perfect but it's all feel and you don't want to bend back, and placement of the 2x4's isn't always where you think it need to be. The boards have a nice flat edge so theres no kinking at the base or anything like hand bending could do Just start out with light raps and have someone help hold the bars because they will bounce after each hit.

I've straightend a few since (in different ways) but your first is always scary and Mr sledge is still one of the easiest ways heat or not.

Before and after.

Last edited:
what about the top part where the handles are? are they straight too or flared back a little when viewing from rider position?

im scared to mess them up thats why ive been asking haha

I think it was backardbuidler who said to do that and I thought he was joking but figured the Cat wasn't rare so what the heck! He was right, it was so easy since it was a fore/aft bent, I think I let the handles rest on a 2x4 and shimed up the straight side and let the other come to the straight one, two wacks and it was straight and the bars are real strong too without any "evidence".

With A little heat you could just tap it home with a mini sledge.

Side bends and wiggly's are another story and takes other methods. :doah:

what about the top part where the handles are? are they straight too or flared back a little when viewing from rider position?

im scared to mess them up thats why ive been asking haha
I'd say the hanldle are slightly flared towards the rider, just go off your straight side and don't make a big deal out of it. :thumbsup: Read my second reply for more detail.

Got pic's of your bars?

Last edited:

ran outside and snapped a quick pic
hope it helps, i also tried to straightened them myself, but nothing. ill just take them to a shop tomorrow and have them heat them and straighten them:weld:

OK what ever your comfortable with doing.

Are you just worried about the curves inward? My Orange cat and I think my blue cat is slightly curved in similar to that and I know the orange one is factory and has never been crashed. Both I believe are early ones.

It's hard to tell because they are high on the rack and I can't get to them tonight.

OK what ever your comfortable with doing.

Are you just worried about the curves inward? My Orange cat and I think my blue cat is slightly curved in similar to that and I know the orange one is factory and has never been crashed. Both I believe are early ones.

It's hard to tell because they are high on the rack and I can't get to them tonight.
yeah thats the only thing bugging me, the way they curve in. the right side one curves in about an inch more than the left one. now that i think about it, it might be more comfortable if i have them straightened flat out, but then again i dont want to ruin the factory specs. well if you have a chance sometime, i would really appreciate if you took a similar picture as the one i took. thanks :thumbsup: