Need Help To wire a Kill Switch on Briggs and Stratton

So…just for clarification, the screw in post #10 WILL work or WILL NOT work?
You need to look on back side of your coil it should have a kill tab back their
The bolt in post 10 is ground will not work for kill. only ground
and if you have a one wire switch could be sketchy getting ground to kill it I like the 2 wire and ground it directly on the block or coil is better

Here's where they hide it the picture of the new one (I thought same thing) made it look like it's on the front but it's on the back that's a 3 but same thing IMG_20230227_095702.jpg IMG_20230227_095711.jpg

I pulled the coil off the motor and there is no kill tab anywhere. As stated earlier, this is a Magnetron coil so I don’t know if that makes a difference. I don’t know what the small tab is inside the plastic housing at the bottom of the coil.

Attachments

When reinstalling the coil, the gap between the coil and the magnet on the flywheel is kinda critical.
A business card is the perfect thickness to set the gap.
Thank you, I have an old Briggs and Stratton service manual that shows the specs for the air gap. It’s been awhile since I have had to adjust one.

Harquebus

..I don’t know what the small tab is inside the plastic housing at the bottom of the coil.
I wonder if that small tab is it and if a 1/4" (female) spade connector will slip over it. If you try that and it works, well there's your answer.
So, a short length of wire, connected to that small tab, engine running and apply the other end of the wire to anything metal on the engine.
If it dies, there's your dinner.

One thing is certain, that coil is old and looks to be one of the crossover ones when Briggs modified(?) existing stocks of ignition coils to work with the older flywheels(?).

I've seen one like that before with that extra plastic incased pickup nestled between one of the "legs" and the central coil. . . .

I wonder if that small tab is it and if a 1/4" (female) spade connector will slip over it. If you try that and it works, well there's your answer.
So, a short length of wire, connected to that small tab, engine running and apply the other end of the wire to anything metal on the engine.
If it dies, there's your dinner.

One thing is certain, that coil is old and looks to be one of the crossover ones when Briggs modified(?) existing stocks of ignition coils to work with the older flywheels(?).

I've seen one like that before with that extra plastic incased pickup nestled between one of the "legs" and the central coil. . . .
I think my engine was retro-fitted with the module later in it’s life. I was curious why someone place a Magnetron sticker on the cover so I pulled it apart to verify. Looks like the kits are still available.

Attachments

Mr. Pink

I found a good video explaining the different types of coils used on Briggs and Stratton engines.
The video also explains why you can not always swap one type for another, even if it fits.

Harquebus

I think my engine was retro-fitted with the module later in it’s life. I was curious why someone place a Magnetron sticker on the cover so I pulled it apart to verify. Looks like the kits are still available.
THAT is EXACTLY what I was thinking of! Nailed it. Yeah, those coils look like a regular old coil that was retrofitted with a stop-gap upgrade.
The part snaps in place, the plastic has a hook on it.

Thanks for the pic. We got a part number "Briggs 394970" and item description too; "Electronic Ign Kit"

Harquebus

Wrap a zip tie on your Spark Plug wire. In case of emergency: Pull the Rip Cord, tuck and roll!
Other people saying to "kill it with the choke" or "pull the string tied to the spark plug wire" or other Hillbilly Engineering methods won't help the young girls and boys that want to take a go on it but panic when the throttle sticks wide open.

They need that little red button on the handle bar in a readily visible and accessible area. Not to mention having the kill switch connected to the coil per Briggs standards and tucked away under the blower housing pretty much ensures it will be trouble free plus it looks neat and tidy.

Good ideas though if it's just you riding it and you're not risk-averse. :D

ETA: While the bronco is bucking, you'd have to look down between your legs to grab the cord on the plug wire and also avoid getting a nice shock if your hand slips and I don't even want to think of the contortions required to choke it, especially if it's a pull choke. :eek::)