Need info on Briggs Cam installation.

I have this Cam kit I got from Comp Cams, and this billet rod.

What I need to know is what Briggs 5HP engines this stuff is meant for.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Any 5hp briggs flathead will do, as long as it's a Horizontal motor.

If you don't know what a Horizontal motor is it's the regular stand up motor used on all minibikes.

Definately know what a Horizontal is, just didn't know if it matters whether it's for a later or older model.

This is a kit that's supposed to get 8.5hp out of a 5hp engine. Can't wait to hear it. Thinking of putting it into my Bonanza BC1400 series bike with 8" wheels, and a TAV unit for riding by the river a block from my house.

Any 5hp briggs flathead will do, as long as it's a Horizontal motor.

If you don't know what a Horizontal motor is it's the regular stand up motor used on all minibikes.
MDB, didn't you see all the bikes in his avatar? :doah: If he don't know what a horizontal engine is by now,, he's got major problems! :xmas-smiley-016:

How much does that puppy shorten the life span and what else is needed?

Injun, do you have a good carb and header for it already? will you be doing the rings and lapping while you're in there?

How much was the kit? (drooling)

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Turk Bros has a good kit that should make a little more power then that one. And I think it may be a little cheaper?

It doesn't shorten the life of the motor. But what does is you riding it a lot more because it's faster then your other motors.

I wasn't saying "Horizontal" for him. I was just saying it, because a lot of kids read this stuff also and think everything is the same. I get some phone calls with all kinds of weird questions, usually from kids. I just have to make sure I clarify everything very good when posting.

I believe I paid $85 for the Comp kit, which also came with a bugle shaped header that is meant for a gokart.

The Billet rod was seperate, and I believe it was about $60 from Jegs.

I'm planning to just use a good running 5hp I already have, and know is good, and just change the valvetrain parts. Hoping to get by with the stock carb at least at first.

This isn't one I plan to race or anything. Just something for my personal riding bike. There's some good hills down by the river, so I hope to take advantage of that.

My BC1000 climbs steep hills like crazy, so I feel that the cam kit, Torq a verter, and 8" Bonanza wheels will be a nice package. My Honda 70 is nice to ride down there, but nowhere near the torque of a Briggs.