Need some input on this...

So I've acquired a a 77 Puch moped that I'm doing some custom work on. Just sold off the original e50 to begin the headache of installing a completely different engine. Mainly, because the engine needs a rebuild which means I may as well upgrade which means $$$.. For the price I figure I could do something different.

My original plan was to drop in a lifan 125cc eggroll engine but I've seen a couple people do that before, and I got guys on another forum criticizing me for converting the bike's heart from OEM to chinese...

So it got me thinking.. If I put an old flathead on it, it'd still be an upgrade to 4 stroke and a bigger cylinder engine. I might be able to use the pedal crank hole for a jackshaft mount, so the drive chain isnt a big concern. The trouble I am having is that the only way to mount the engine, with enough room to attach custom manifolds to the ports, is at a very harsh angle. not so steep that oil would fill into the cylinder, but I think its enough to where the cam slinger wouldn't touch it.

So I was thinking maybe I could put a fitting into the bottom oil drain plug and have it go to a small pump, and then drill and tap another fitting right above that slinger to run a "custom" dry sump system. Just don't know what I'd be able to use for a pump, as it would have to be external and I wouldnt have much extra crank shaft space to drive it. Unless I had one of those funky briggs engines with the cam shaft sticking out the cover and drive it off that.

And the other issue is what engine to use in the first place.. the 5hp briggs block is too big, after its at the best angle it hangs way to low and looks goofy. I mocked up a Tec 3.5hp vertical block and its a much better fit. So I'm thinking maybe a Tec h35, and if it had a light coil that would be helpful that way i don't have to plug in a battery every night.

So what do you guys think, is it worth it just to do something like this to be different? or should I just say screw it and go chinese? Also has anybody else been in this situation? Any pointers are appreciated.. and thanks for looking either way. :scooter:

screw that go chinese. im no briggs fan but you are talking about a lot of trouble to go horizontal when you could just put a horizontal china motor in it and be rocking and rolling a lot faster

go with the lifan for sure. then youll have something that actually works and not a cobbled up red green machine. plus you really need gears and lights. for the oil system you could just make a custom oil slinger. or go 2 stroke with a 5hp tecumseh snowblower engine. Whats the moped site? let me guess Moped Army :rolleyes: buncha jerks

So I've acquired a a 77 Puch moped that I'm doing some custom work on. Just sold off the original e50 to begin the headache of installing a completely different engine. Mainly, because the engine needs a rebuild which means I may as well upgrade which means $$$.. For the price I figure I could do something different.
wait what...?
someone buys those motors????? :bowdown:
i stripped one awhile back,think ! it was same year puch,the orange ones?
would love to sell the motor!!
and the rest of the parts too..i stripped it completely,wiring everything intact....its all just taking up space.
i thought all them mopeds were good for,was being gas tank donors...:anon.sml:

I had mopeds for a while as a kid...(even a SOLEX) ...I always thought a 2 stroke Tecumseh would be a good fit...even a 3 hp would be an up grade....I think my buddy had one of those from JC Penny back in the day

WrenchDad

May be I missed some thing but I'm gonna ask any way, If you have a Moped and the engine needs replaced why spend more money and create problems by changing the set up? If you don't want to turn it back into a moped then why not just build a custom mini.
It's like turning a rototiller into a snowblower, you can but what's the point?

id love to put a 4 stroke lifan 125 on a moped I think it would work great. Problem is all 3 of my scooters are shaft or belt drive so theres nothing to hook a chain to

May be I missed some thing but I'm gonna ask any way, If you have a Moped and the engine needs replaced why spend more money and create problems by changing the set up? If you don't want to turn it back into a moped then why not just build a custom mini.
It's like turning a rototiller into a snowblower, you can but what's the point?
Why not?:shrug:

WrenchDad

I guess I'm just hung up on the logic. To me it's like saying I have a Rupp roadster that's really cool and really fast but it needs some work so I'm gonna tear out that original flathead and all the running gear then I'm gonna spend a lot of money buying a new slower engine because I don't want all that speed so I'll modify the frame and make a moped out of it.......... Or I'll just by a moped. I'm not saying it cant be done it's just counter intuitive in my opinion.

I guess I'm just hung up on the logic. To me it's like saying I have a Rupp roadster that's really cool and really fast but it needs some work so I'm gonna tear out that original flathead and all the running gear then I'm gonna spend a lot of money buying a new slower engine because I don't want all that speed so I'll modify the frame and make a moped out of it.......... Or I'll just by a moped. I'm not saying it cant be done it's just counter intuitive in my opinion.
Full grown adults...driving kids mini bikes....Ya..not logical either but I roll with it.:laugh: I get the whole wanting to create something different....but see your point also.

WrenchDad

Full grown adults...driving kids mini bikes....Ya..not logical either but I roll with it.:laugh: I get the whole wanting to create something different....but see your point also.
I understand wanting to be creative also. If he was talking track cycle or turning into a motorized lawn cart or something Jeep2003 hasn't built yet. I get that. It's just another version of some thing that already exist which is fine, it just didn't make sense to me That's all.

Yeah I think you guys are right about going Chinese on this one... It's not too much of a hassle to get it to fit and it should be reliable enough.

Cheesy, yeah.. moped.. wasn't my first choice for a new build either.. but it was only 75 bucks :shrug: I guess if you stare at anything long enough, tilt your head and blur your eyes, you make anything look good. :eek:

Jeep, yeah it was mopedarmy... I think it's kinda funny actually. I mean I could see a big dude on a harley or something being an :asshole: ,but a bunch guys on mopeds? Not so much.. they're about as threatening as a tea cup chihuahua.

Ludicrous, actually the engine sold the next day.. you could give it a shot but don't tell them your master plan :facepalm:

Wrenchdad, its not really all about "well my engines broken let's see what the hardest, most expensive and complicated set up I can replace it with..." usually my projects start with "wouldn't it be cool if"... I was already iffy on running the flathead I was just curious what the more friendly forum had to say about it.

Anyway I appreciated everybody's feedback.

Last edited:

WrenchDad

Wrenchdad said:
I understand where your comming from on the " Hey what if " side of it. And I wasnt trying to sound mean or negative. You asked for input and I should have just said " In my opinion keep it original" But instead my input came off as negative and that wasnt my intention. I think it is a neat idea and am courious to how it will work out.

No it didnt come of as negative, I was just clarifying so I didn't sound like an idiot :haha:.. maybe ill use the oil pump idea for something else in the future.. like an oil filter and or cooler for a race bike??

yeah there was a video i cant seem to find now but he used a pulse fuel pump to an oil cooler. he put the pump after the cooler so it had trouble as a sucker I think but he was trying not to kill it with heat. seemed to work ok but really these engines are designed to have oil flinging everywhere with no oil galleys of the sort so a dry sump probrobly wouldnt work out too well in the long run