Need some suggestions..

Thinking about a Predator 6.5hp motor for my mini bike project.. wanting to know what carburetor, air filter, and exhaust would pair up best to get the most out of it.. I have some mechanical ability, working on trucks and cars, so engines aren’t new to me, but I haven’t fooled with small engine as much. Trying to figure out what will be best, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.. the motor will put me out about $150, and I’d like to stay under $250 for the extra parts.

pomfish

That Ducati engine looks like a good deal (Yeah I know that is not the proper name , but you have to admit it sounds a hell of a lot cooler)

As far as the frame, sand blast it and then coat it with that Bed Liner thick stuff as it will cover up any of the nastiness from sitting in mud and protect it from rocks etc tearing up the new paint.
Replace the wheel bearings, steering bearings (if Present) new tires/tubes/cheap seat and ride that sucker.

Bottom line, Keep it simple and cheap and spend the savings on Beer :)

Harquebus

By flathead, he means the engine on it now, that Briggs and Stratton motor, is a flathead. It means the valves are in the block and not over-the-head {overhead valve or "OHV"}. It's old school technology but oh, so fun.
I would take the Briggs engine on your bike and refurbish it. They always look crummy on the outside but the inside should be clean
and oily. It's worth a look anyway.

And, it's a classic minibike after all. It deserves that engine, or maybe a 5 HP Briggs.

Look for another modern bike like a Baja Doodlebug or a Coleman to put a {Ducar, etc} 200cc+ engine on. My opinion.

I like that thought.. I may just refurbish engine and use the original, I’d have it up and running quicker that way.. I think it would be pretty nice keeping it classic.. Also, I really like the bedliner spray idea.. sounds durable and good looking.. so is there any maintenance or parts changes I should do on the original flathead? And can anyone recommend a good carburetor to pair with it?

Lizardking

I like that thought.. I may just refurbish engine and use the original, I’d have it up and running quicker that way.. I think it would be pretty nice keeping it classic.. Also, I really like the bedliner spray idea.. sounds durable and good looking.. so is there any maintenance or parts changes I should do on the original flathead? And can anyone recommend a good carburetor to pair with it?
You may have to put some primer and paint before that rubber under coat. Moisture will build under the rubber and rust your frame to pieces.

Primer should be applied soon after sandblasting to prevent flash rust.

You may have to put some primer and paint before that rubber under coat. Moisture will build under the rubber and rust your frame to pieces.

Primer should be applied soon after sandblasting to prevent flash rust.
Good point, I hadn’t thought about that.. I will make sure to keep that in mind..