new Coleman ct200u owner (soon)

so i just paid for and am waiting for shipment on a Coleman Ct200u..... I am just looking for a ride that will get me out to the camp site or hunting lodge on the acreage i have.Kind of like a new "gote tote" ...... Not looking to bash it around or anything..... i am about 185 so i am hoping this will do the trick

the one thing that i am told is really helpful is a torque converter. Not sure if this will have the 5/8 shaft or the 3/4 inch.(do they make both?) ... i did buy it from amazon and is supposed to get here arou d xmas.

cheers all!

(i signed up for and even posted a couple times yesterday or the day before but with the new software i think i got deleted, not a big deal i just reregistered.)

SAS289

All new Colemans have been coming with 16mm (so called 5/8") cranks since late 2016. And I still say they went to the 16mm because of the tons of complaints they were getting on clutch issues. People were buying these things without an understanding of the mechanics and regular maintenance involved in dealing with the legacy style clutch with it's bushing. The 16mm style clutch uses a caged needle bearing and you can get away without lubrication longer. I had the clutch apart and used wheel bearing grease in mine before the bike was even ridden and it gets opened up cleaned and lubed just about after every ride. And be prepared to ride, adjust the chain, ride again then adjust the chain, then clean and lube and adjust the chain again. If you want things to work well these bikes need well maintained.

You may want to swap your crank to a 3/4" +.040, my CT200u-ex was .050 in the hole which leaves plenty of room. $39.99 at NR Racing. This would also give you better options for clutch or torque converters.

You may want to swap your crank to a 3/4" +.040, my CT200u-ex was .050 in the hole which leaves plenty of room. $39.99 at NR Racing. This would also give you better options for clutch or torque converters.
Thanks for the replie SAS289 ..... I new there'd be maintenance but with a relatively simple machine it shouldn't be to bad (I hope ;) )

As for changing to crank shaft... I saw a video on that and it look pretty involved.... which would be ok but it also looks like you can screw things up in there... how hard is it? How long would it take? I mean I generally don't do motor work but have done a fair amount of parts changing, you know a part time shade tree mechanic......

Thanks again for the Replies....

Unless you want to mod the engine there is no reason to open it up and change the crank , Buy the TAV kit that OldMiniBikes sells and be done !!

Unless you want to mod the engine there is no reason to open it up and change the crank , Buy the TAV kit that OldMiniBikes sells and be done !!
I am all for that but was under the impression they didn't make a torque converter for a 5/8 shaft....I quickly looked but didn't see one.... will look again on a big screen at home though...

to put it in perspective i could get a predator and a 3/4 torque convert fot about that price...
Yep, I was just giving you an option of one that fits the smaller shaft engines.
Welcome to the madness of mini bikes. Sometimes to upgrade one thing can be a hassle when you have an oddball you are trying to upgrade.
The kit from GPS has what you need for a basic bolt on upgrade for your engine.

As has been mentioned, to go with a less expensive TAV you would need to swap cranks. Not that hard to do, but you would then have a hybrid of sorts. But would be the least expensive way around the problem. Maybe go that route to start, yeah I said start, as it seems you are never done upgrading a mini. If you like it but then want to go with say a better option, buy a Predator. Cheap and has the availability for upgraded parts.

Be forewarned you could end up like I did. Started out with a Predator swap, soon followed by billet flywheel and connecting rod, heavier valve springs, cylinder head port/polish, followed by a performance head, performance camshaft, header(s), upgraded carb(s), governor delete, China TAV, better chain, better belt, better tires, front suspension, front brakes, lights and battery, horn, mirror, custom paint. And this was the second one I've built that went that way. Like I said it's madness.

Yep, I was just giving you an option of one that fits the smaller shaft engines.
Welcome to the madness of mini bikes. Sometimes to upgrade one thing can be a hassle when you have an oddball you are trying to upgrade.
The kit from GPS has what you need for a basic bolt on upgrade for your engine.

As has been mentioned, to go with a less expensive TAV you would need to swap cranks. Not that hard to do, but you would then have a hybrid of sorts. But would be the least expensive way around the problem. Maybe go that route to start, yeah I said start, as it seems you are never done upgrading a mini. If you like it but then want to go with say a better option, buy a Predator. Cheap and has the availability for upgraded parts.

Be forewarned you could end up like I did. Started out with a Predator swap, soon followed by billet flywheel and connecting rod, heavier valve springs, cylinder head port/polish, followed by a performance head, performance camshaft, header(s), upgraded carb(s), governor delete, China TAV, better chain, better belt, better tires, front suspension, front brakes, lights and battery, horn, mirror, custom paint. And this was the second one I've built that went that way. Like I said it's madness.
i know, options are good :)....my order from amazon won't ship for a while so i have thought about canceling and getting something else.....except I like the look and size of the ct200u. maybe i will just buy a few clutches have them on the bike with a tool set and be done.....decisions decisions.....

to put it in perspective i could get a predator and a 3/4 torque convert fot about that price...
Yeah, but for the price of that entire bike and with the modifications you'd need to make anyway, you could buy an actual Tote Gote.

And listen to those guys talking about the TAV. In the woods, any torque converter set up is far superior to a standard friction type mini bike clutch.

Yeah, but for the price of that entire bike and with the modifications you'd need to make anyway, you could buy an actual Tote Gote.

And listen to those guys talking about the TAV. In the woods, any torque converter set up is far superior to a standard friction type mini bike clutch.
the very first thing my friend said when i told him i got one is .....does it have a clutch or torque converter?.....and he was into the small engine stuff.alot........ even did NYMTA small engine repair.....

option A - try it like it is might be ok (+0$- $399 total)
option B - predator and a TC ($200 appx 600 total)
option C monster moto or TrialMaster MB200-2 (+$600 about $1000 total)

i want the trial master but its hard to justify ...i just got to go with A and if upgrade to the predator/tc..... the ct200u only cost 399

Last edited:
the very first thing my friend said when i told him i got one is .....does it have a clutch or torque converter?.....and he was into the small engine stuff.alot........ even did NYMTA small engine repair.....