New guy with a already broken new ct200

Bought a new CT200U-EX from TS. Got it home oiled and fueled it up. Started on the 2nd pull. Rode it all day on Friday and Saturday. It runs great! I bought this for me to ride and play with along side my son and his Chinese atv, this has to do with how I killed the Coleman.

Yesterday, Saturday, we were on the back of the neighborhood at the bottom of a long steep hill when the atv ran out of gas. It’s pretty much a 1/4 mile up hill the entire way. My son wasn’t able to push the atv up the hill, and we were out of gas at home so I couldn’t just ride home and get the gas jug to bring to him. So I knew it would be hard on the centrifugal clutch, and already had plans on the gopowersports torque converter kit so I said screw and put my foot on the rack of the atv and pushed it up the hill with the mini bike. At the top of the hill I noticed that it was laboring to idle, let off the brake and it’s pulling away with no throttle input. Cooked the clutch I’m assuming. A friend of mine was outside when we got to the top of the hill, so I got gas for the atv from him and sent my kid home. I rode around a little bit at a high enough speed for the clutch to not be slipping but little load to try and let it cool off. No dice.

Took the clutch off to try and sand the glazing off to buy a little time, and it’s better, but still pulls at idle. There was a lot of clutch dust under the plastic cover. Ordered the torque converter kit, stage 1 kit, silencer, and the spring.

Based off what was described I am right in thinking I fried the clutch, right?

Bought a new CT200U-EX from TS. Got it home oiled and fueled it up. Started on the 2nd pull. Rode it all day on Friday and Saturday. It runs great! I bought this for me to ride and play with along side my son and his Chinese atv, this has to do with how I killed the Coleman.

Yesterday, Saturday, we were on the back of the neighborhood at the bottom of a long steep hill when the atv ran out of gas. It’s pretty much a 1/4 mile up hill the entire way. My son wasn’t able to push the atv up the hill, and we were out of gas at home so I couldn’t just ride home and get the gas jug to bring to him. So I knew it would be hard on the centrifugal clutch, and already had plans on the gopowersports torque converter kit so I said screw and put my foot on the rack of the atv and pushed it up the hill with the mini bike. At the top of the hill I noticed that it was laboring to idle, let off the brake and it’s pulling away with no throttle input. Cooked the clutch I’m assuming. A friend of mine was outside when we got to the top of the hill, so I got gas for the atv from him and sent my kid home. I rode around a little bit at a high enough speed for the clutch to not be slipping but little load to try and let it cool off. No dice.

Took the clutch off to try and sand the glazing off to buy a little time, and it’s better, but still pulls at idle. There was a lot of clutch dust under the plastic cover. Ordered the torque converter kit, stage 1 kit, silencer, and the spring.

Based off what was described I am right in thinking I fried the clutch, right?
Welcome!!!!

Yeap, I say it is smoked.

Colemans need a engine riser to clear the frame for the t/c.

@bropep13 is working on 1 now. Maybe he can give you some pointers. Good luck.

Welcome!!!!

Yeap, I say it is smoked.

Colemans need a engine riser to clear the frame for the t/c.

@bropep13 is working on 1 now. Maybe he can give you some pointers. Good luck.
I think the kit I ordered includes 1" risers, I'll verify but if not I have some 1" square tubing that I could easily cut to length and make my own if needed.

The only part I'm not too thrilled about, but I see no way around it, is cutting the cross brace out and loosing the chain guard. I'm planning on setting everything in place and seeing how much contact there is and maybe notching the backing plate for the TC if it doesn't interfere with anything much. That remains to be seen, but if I have to cut the cross tube out then so be it.

Your
I think the kit I ordered includes 1" risers, I'll verify but if not I have some 1" square tubing that I could easily cut to length and make my own if needed.

The only part I'm not too thrilled about, but I see no way around it, is cutting the cross brace out and loosing the chain guard. I'm planning on setting everything in place and seeing how much contact there is and maybe notching the backing plate for the TC if it doesn't interfere with anything much. That remains to be seen, but if I have to cut the cross tube out then so be it.[/QUOTE.

Oops so what I mean to say it your not gonna want risers your gonna want a mount amazon sells one that comes in a day. The risers give clearence but part of the frame still gets in the way. The mount moves the engine foward slightly ands helps it a lot. Definitely get the TC over the clutch. I definitely don’t recommend a govner removal because that will leed down a path of replacing internals with billet counterparts. The TC will give you a lot of speed and power.

Oops so what I mean to say it your not gonna want risers your gonna want a mount amazon sells one that comes in a day. The risers give clearence but part of the frame still gets in the way. The mount moves the engine foward slightly ands helps it a lot. Definitely get the TC over the clutch. I definitely don’t recommend a govner removal because that will leed down a path of replacing internals with billet counterparts. The TC will give you a lot of speed and power.
https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Conve...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc. This is what I have

I definitely have no plans of messing with the governor. The spring I got is a throttle return spring, I’m going to remove the coiled up mess of a return spring that comes stock.

with this Mount I won’t have to cut off the cross brace/tube and be able to keep my chain guard? If so that’s exactly what I want and will order it
Exactly, I ordered those same risers you described and I would have had to cut the guard off but with the mount I don’t have to it’s quite nice for the 50$ worth it in my opinion.

Attachments

I have a ducar 212 on, it was a direct super easy swap and is gonna get me close to 55 60 I’m thinking once I connect the throttle. Another thing is the engine that comes with the 200ex is it’s a 196cc with a 5/8s jack shaft so keep that in mind when ordering your 30s seris torque converter you might need to get a shaft adapter because most TC are 3/4 along with most small engines.

Exactly, I ordered those same risers you described and I would have had to cut the guard off but with the mount I don’t have to it’s quite nice for the 50$ worth it in my opinion.
Have a recommendation for a chain and breaker? I’m pretty sure with the forward position a longer chain will also be needed

SAS289

I definitely have no plans of messing with the governor. The spring I got is a throttle return spring, I’m going to remove the coiled up mess of a return spring that comes stock.
The stock throttle return spring works fine once some of its length is carefully removed. I wasn't careful enough and took too much off. To correct that I added the small spring found on all other GX200 and clone engines.

The return spring pictured is completely relaxed in the idle position. The small spring is just to the left of the throttle screw.

20170703_182437.jpg

The stock throttle return spring works fine once some of its length is carefully removed. I wasn't careful enough and took too much off. To correct that I added the small spring found on all other GX200 and clone engines.

The return spring pictured is completely relaxed in the idle position. The small spring is just to the left of the throttle screw.

View attachment 301182
The small spring is the one I have coming. I may trim the long spring too. Didn’t think about that, thank you!

May be too late now, but did you try oiling the bronze bushing in the clutch? They don't spin freely without oil, and hard usage generally burns up the oil. Sometimes a drop or two will make it idle without pulling.