New Here, New Project: Murray Mini Bike

I'm new here, and wanted to share my current project.

I recently snagged a running, but rough Murray Mini bike off of Craigslist for $100. My plan is to fully tear it down and rebuild the bike up to something a bit better.

Here is what I snagged:

Bike1_zps6vsxjfbn.jpg

Bike2_zpsjeif3u8g.jpg

I pulled the motor and Handlebars before the sun went down for the night.

My goal is to make it similar to another bike I saw on here, with sort of a Rat Rod theme to it. Flat black, red wheels, etc... I just want something to dink around on at Car Shows and such.

As I do more, I will log it here, and hopefully I can get some help if I need it.

Love the site and look forward to Contributing.

Biffmini

:
Welcome aboard...it's addictive. Once you get started on your first bike you'll find you can't stop at just one!
Yah that's for sure... Started with a build for my daughter, & now three more projects waiting! Wow the best sickness I could have.
That's what DR. Phill said :biggrin:

Got a little more torn down today. Fresh bath of De-greaser and a water wash.

torn2_zpsgwhnd44l.jpg

torn_zpshwe5bi9s.jpg

For the life of me, I can't get the allen screws loose on the Seat mount and the rear shock mount. No matter how hard I tried, those things are ON THERE!

Picked up a new set of Handlebars online, also a new throttle assembly. I snagged a 212 Predator today on sale too. Thinking I need a whol new Brake setup as well, as this thing seems worn down to nothing.

Any ideas on how to get these mounts off? I want to take them off, then sand to bare metal before priming and painting.

Got a little more torn down today. Fresh bath of De-greaser and a water wash.

View attachment 78532

View attachment 78533

For the life of me, I can't get the allen screws loose on the Seat mount and the rear shock mount. No matter how hard I tried, those things are ON THERE!

Picked up a new set of Handlebars online, also a new throttle assembly. I snagged a 212 Predator today on sale too. Thinking I need a whol new Brake setup as well, as this thing seems worn down to nothing.

Any ideas on how to get these mounts off? I want to take them off, then sand to bare metal before priming and painting.
Two things you can try--take a propane torch and heat the area around the allen screws. Let them cool down and see if that breaks them loose. Second, folks swear by PB Blaster which you can get at WalMart, Home Depot, Advance Auto, etc. Like WD40, it's a penetrating lubricant. Spray that stuff on and let it sit a bit. Allen screw may break loose with PB alone, though I've used heat and PB to break nuts loose (PB burns like a torch lamp so be prepared). Just takes time.

Well, sanded down the rough spots, disassembled, and put some black paint on.

Here's where I am with it.

BLACK_zpsrl7klpek.jpg

I'd like to get new Neck Hardware and Bearings if possible. Do they sell that anywhere? If so, does anyone know what size I would need (sorry, new to this hobby and have a million questions)?

CarPlayLB

Go to your local bicycle shop for the neck bearings. They are common bicycle parts. It has been a long time ago, but my local bike shop referred to the bearings as size 23? I dunno if that was his part number or not. Bring your old ones with you and you can match them easily

CarPlayLB

This is the best mod I made to either of my Murray's. Run a strut from the engine plate to the point where the brake cable attaches by making an "L" bracket to mount under the cable stay. Stops like champ now!

This is the best mod I made to either of my Murray's. Run a strut from the engine plate to the point where the brake cable attaches by making an "L" bracket to mount under the cable stay. Stops like champ now!
Interesting , so the band brake doesn't work as good as it could ? I haven't rode mine yet to know ( I trust you though ) I did clean her up a bit , hit with starter fluid and she cranked instantly , I still have to fool with the carb but she cleaned up rather nicely .

CarPlayLB

Interesting , so the band brake doesn't work as good as it could ? I haven't rode mine yet to know ( I trust you though ) I did clean her up a bit , hit with starter fluid and she cranked instantly , I still have to fool with the carb but she cleaned up rather nicely .
The band brake is not bad, but the added rigidity of the strut makes it work tons better. It eliminates the flex. I can lock up the tire with my fat a$$ on it!