New Member with a doodlebug.

Hello everyone. I just got the itch for minibikes again when I found a red doodlebug on ebay for $50 and jumped all over it. I had a little minibike when I was a little guy with I think a 3.5hp briggs and stratton motor. I just picked up a doodle bug and i'm thinking about the predator conversion. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Joe

CarPlayLB

welcome aboard!
HF is having a bow out sale this weekend! Predators are $100! You need one,...go now! You will have a ton more fun with the Predator motor!

welcome aboard!
HF is having a bow out sale this weekend! Predators are $100! You need one,...go now! You will have a ton more fun with the Predator motor!
Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know what part #, the harbour freight web sight shows 2 #'s, 69727 and 69730. It seems that the 727 is a california motor?

69730 is the non hemi engine. look at the box and get one that says the max rpm is 3800. it has better valvetrain components.

or if you want a hemi, go to a store physically, and get the one with the cast aluminum valve cover that the part number is 60363.

welcome! :scooter:

Just get whatever predator 212 your store stocks whether its a hemi version or not (as long as your not planning on modifying it heavily) and you will be fine! :thumbsup:

The swap to a predator 212 is very easy and I was able to accomplish it within 2 days using a rotary tool and a drill. However I had aligned the motor incorrectly and had to go back in and correct this with my rotary tool. After I went on a ride and blew the OEM bearings on the back wheel.

I recommend changing those bearings as they are not great and left me with a 30 minute walk back. I used these bearings http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would still recommend using the adapter plate that PMR makes which is about 40 dollars plus shipping as the adapter is much more fool proof and allows for adjustment to alignment.

I opted to use a centrifugal clutch because I have had good experience with them and they can cost much under 100$. I found my clutch at a farm and fleet (they guessed what I was doing haha) the clutch was a Comet brand 12 tooth that is rated up to 8 hp and cost 50$. I was able to get by using the original chain by using a punch and hammer to shorten its length.

Also the throttle lever on the predator 212 will need to be modified by removing the friction washer that sits under the lever and by putting an extension spring onto the lever to another part of the motor to give better tension to the doodlebug throttle twister.

all this will give you a doodlebug that goes 35 mph with the stock 70 tooth sprocket the speed can be adjusted with a gearing change.

Thank you all for the very helpful information. I'll keep my progress posted when I get the project started. The 97cc stock engine is running fine, the kids love it so I'm not in a rush.

george3

Thank you all for the very helpful information. I'll keep my progress posted when I get the project started. The 97cc stock engine is running fine, the kids love it so I'm not in a rush.
Welcome to the show that never ends. Get your wear and tear out of the oem engine. The 6.5 may be too much for them.

I made it out to my local HF and they had 1 "hemi" left, # 60363 so I picked it up, $119.99-20% coupon=$95.99+tax out the door. I would of never thought you could get a replacement motor that cheap.

Thanks for all the info.

Any opinions on what clutch to get?

I would recommend a centrifugal clutch for your project. I myself was able to find a clutch at my local Farm and Fleet for 50$. It was a Comet brand 3/4in bore 12 tooth clutch #35 chain rated up to 8 hp. However you can always search out a clutch on the internet. I hear max torque makes a good clutch.

Fore warning, a 6.5 predator paired with a 12 tooth clutch and a 70 tooth OEM doodlebug sprocket will make the minibike go approximately 35 mph. This on its own doesn't sound too dangerous but what is dangerous is the torque you will have with this setup. You will wheelie the bike if you do not lean forward on takeoff unless you use proper throttle control.

One solution to this would be to change the gearing to lessen the torque the bike can have. This however, is a double edged sword. As you go with lower teeth on the sprocket you will lessen the torque but also raise the top speed of the bike. At 60 teeth you will not wheelie so easily but the bike will go over 40 mph. The best way to change out the rear sprocket assembly for a different sprocket is to buy the doodlebug sprocket adapter which mounts up split sprockets which are more common and cheap and come in a variety of teeth counts and chain sizes.

I would recommend a centrifugal clutch for your project. I myself was able to find a clutch at my local Farm and Fleet for 50$. It was a Comet brand 3/4in bore 12 tooth clutch #35 chain rated up to 8 hp. However you can always search out a clutch on the internet. I hear max torque makes a good clutch
Like this one, available for about $40, with the fastest shipping you'll ever find, and sold by the fine folks who run this forum. :thumbsup: