new member working on saxonette flywheel

Hello everyone Ive got alot of projects but what Im currently working on is an Arctic Cat Whisker I picked up in Duluth Mn. Its a nice survivor but it has low spark not even enough to get through the spark plug. Further inspection revealed a wire coming off the coil is pretty corroded. Ive priced a new coil on ebay but i cant get the flywheel off. Im afraid of bending the flywheel with too much pressure on my wheel puller. Should i keep pressing harder or is there another trick to it

Attachments

I got one that does and i put alot of torque on it Ive just never pulled something before and i havent seen a flywheel on ebay lately so im just scared of bending or breaking something

Do you have a shop manual? It looks like you might be able to download one for free. That might unlock the secret of the flywheel. Maybe someone on one of the moped sites could give tips, too.

The correct puller for this threads into the center bore. It's a specialty tool and roughly around 20-22mm I think, but never can remember the exact size. I usually use a 3-arm puller carefully placed in the 3 oval slots (timing adjustment windows). Harbor Freight has a set that should probably work.

I suggest you let some penetrating oil sit in there for a day or two with the engine on the side. You can also gently tap it in all directions to try and vibrate that joint a bit to break it loose and get that oil in there.

I've taken many off, it's just tough sometimes after 40 years. The trouble comes if the flywheel has spun slightly on the key. I had that once. It locks itself on. Good luck!

Also... When you get the puller on it and under tension, try tapping gently in all directions, as I said before. Under tension, it can be more effective.

Also, part 2... Be careful not to mushroom the threads on the end of the shaft. They are delicate.

Last edited:
i got the flywheel off and the wire fixed everything put back together and it runs great!! It was dark out by the time i got it all back together but i took it for a little ride anyway (27 degrees outside)ill try and get a video up Thanks everyone for the good info:scooter:

i got the flywheel off and the wire fixed everything put back together and it runs great!! It was dark out by the time i got it all back together but i took it for a little ride anyway (27 degrees outside)ill try and get a video up Thanks everyone for the good info:scooter:
That's great! Glad to hear it.:scooter: