New owner and now on to the upgrades

Recently picked up a Baja Racer for $30 from a neighbor. It was barely running when I got it. that lead me to this forum and with help from members and A little research found the air filter gasket installed backwards and now it runs like new. But there''s your problem :biggrin:

So now I've come to the conclusion that the little 97CC engine needs to be swapped out with a HF 212CC engine. I'm only $30 into it, so I think I can afford to spend a little $$ on it :biggrin: I've done a little research and appears that the swap is fairly simple, realitively speaking.

So here are my questions:

1) Will I need to purchase an engine mounting plate?
2) I know a new clutch will need to be purchased, but will I need a new chain too?
3) Throttle cable/linkage: This one I haven't dug up much up much info on. Will a new cable and or linkage be required? Are the adapter kits available?

Thanks in advance !!!

Let's see. No you don't "need" a mounting plate if you have the tools and skill to drill and slot your frame. But for $40. The plate is a deal.

You won't need a new chain but a chain break will come in handy for taking a few links out.

Throttle hook up is easy on the predator. It has mounts for the cable so nothing is needed.

Yes the predator has a spot to hook your kill switch. I spliced mine in to the kill switch that comes on the predator

Thanks for the conformation CJD.

I have the tools and skills but was thinking a plate is cheap enough and will give the mounting plate some extra support.

I drilled my doodle and with the plate you got a little more adjustment than you will with just drilling that's just my 2 cents. My next db will get the plate! I pretty much rushed through my first one so I could ride it lol.:scooter:

Thanks for the conformation CJD.

I have the tools and skills but was thinking a plate is cheap enough and will give the mounting plate some extra support.
Exactly right! The stock mounting is way too flimsy for the larger motor. The mounting plate helps to keep flexing to a min.

The stock chain will work but may need a link or two removed if I remember right.

Stopped by my local HF last night and they were out of stock on the 212CC :censure:

Give me time to get the other parts in hand I guess.

Engine showed up today, so tonight with the help of some Def Leppard and a few Coors Light. I went swapping the engine out.

Picked up the Stage 1 kit from Hotrodminibikes and a 6.5 from HF. Guys were most helpful with my questions and off I went.

Here's some pics of my progress:

Engine out. Who knew an ice chest makes for a nice work bench :doah:

Getting the plate situated

Plate mounted

Engine partially in. Had trouble "squeezing" it in the frame with the tank and airbox on, so I had to remove them.

Engine is in

Chain cover on for photos. Need to line everything up and remove a few chain links.

That's it for tonight. Out of gas and out of beer :drinkup: so I'm calling it for today.

Any tips on aligning the chain/engine ? :shrug:

Also hoping someone can post a picture of where I need to splice the killswitch wire into.

Thanks in advance guys !!!!

Last edited:
For aligning the chain, i just get down at eye level and look at it from behind. You can see how the chain sits on the clutch. If its crooked, it will be easiest to see there.

These pictures are great. I'm waiting on parts for my DB30. I have the engine (a 196cc Champion) but need the mounting kit from promod.

How many links did you remove from the chain? How did you do it? I'm wondering if I need to order the #35 chain breaker tool or if I can just use the punch method.

Highly recommend the kit from Promod!!!

I've read on this forum, that two links need to be removed. I haven't done it yet as Im short one breaker tool. Just picked one up today. Hoping it works !!!

vwfan79

The kill switch is easy, there's 2 wires coming out of the stock kill switch on the engine one goes to a 8mm bolt on the pull start cover, ground. Just use the ground from the DB30 switch and splice the other wire from the DB30 into the other wire on the motors switch, don't splice it to the motors switch but splice it towards the other wiring.

Thanks VDub :thumbsup:

Got the chain shortened and everything else buttoned up and too it on it's maiden voyage. First thing I notice is the front wheel wants to come up, not enough to flip over, just right. Second thing I noticed was the throttle return spring wasn't doing it's job buy bringing it all the way down to idle. It was an "OH :censure: " moment as I was heading for the garage door, but I managed to bring er to a halt before I made a new window :laugh:

Couple more minor things to button up:
Kill Switch
Make a bracket to raise the front of the stock chain guard. It slaps the guard at idle.

Other than she's ready to roll. Overall, it probly took me 3 hours give or take and I thought it was and easy swap.

Want to thank all those that provided the their input!!!! :bowdown: