new plow setup

Keep it all

Rest Assured it won't be long before the snow will arrive and I have canceled all our expected show event here In Portland to make sure you reach your annual totals. To us western coast we like out snow up on top of Mount Hood.
Steve :scooter:

Put one on mine about 6 years ago...last year I finally put some gnarly rear tires on it,what an improvement over stock.
I may put some tire chains on it if need be but I'll wait until I use it a few times before doing that.

Once it has 15 hours on it I'll have to run it back down to the dealer and have them do the first service on it, a couple of snow storms should do it.

I keep saying I will put heated grips on it....but I still freeze on the cold days.
Considered heated grips but will wait until after the first winter plowing with it to decide if I really need them.

The forecast looks pretty much snow less up until Christmas which is good I suppose although we would like a white Christmas.

Thanks guys we like it a lot even if it is only the 400 it is nice.
The windshield while it makes it look like an old fogey quad does come off with a quick pull on the 2 release levers.

Just to give ya a heads up, the winch cable will break on ya with that angle on the fairlead. I broke mine 5 times within about a half hour. the best bet is take the cable off, go to harbor freight and get one of their tow straps with the hook on both ends, cut the strap in half and just duct tape the strap to the winch to start the wrap around the winch wind in on and hook to the lift eye on the plow. I never had a problem since using the strap method.
They do make an extension for using a pulley the hangs straight over the lifting eye but IMO the strap method works and is cheaper.

Just to give ya a heads up, the winch cable will break on ya with that angle on the fairlead. I broke mine 5 times within about a half hour. the best bet is take the cable off, go to harbor freight and get one of their tow straps with the hook on both ends, cut the strap in half and just duct tape the strap to the winch to start the wrap around the winch wind in on and hook to the lift eye on the plow. I never had a problem since using the strap method.
They do make an extension for using a pulley the hangs straight over the lifting eye but IMO the strap method works and is cheaper.
THANKS.
That has been a major concern after seeing the cable bent to a 90 coming over that fairlead roller to the plow.

I'll give the strap method a whirl as it sounds easily doable. if I get a long strap with hooks is there enough strap to do it twice if needed ?

I'm going to lube the fairlead roller as well just so I know it will roll when it needs to.

2" x 20 Ft. Tow Strap

This is the strap I used and yes you'll have plenty to do twice if need be. I also seen on the net where people used seat belt webbing also. google atv winch cable failure or atv winch strap and you should find enough info.

And the nice thing about going straight to using a strap is that you won't ruin your cable so when you need to switch over to use the cable it's nice and fresh with no repairs on it.

Last edited:
After looking into it a bit I see that there is a different mount that should bring the winch up and lay it flat so the cable comes straight out of the fairlead and warn makes a fairlead(69373) made for lifting that has a much larger diameter lower roller that reduces stress on the cable.

I'm going to put the strap on regardless this winter but I also want the best possible winch and cable set up for future use because winching straight out is best, after 45 degree on the cable it is to much stress and will snap a cable easily.

The bigger roller on the fairlead does help BIG time, some of the issue comes from those 4-6" of constant up and down cable rub on the fairlead but 99% of the real cable breaking point comes from when the push tube bottoms out (Lifting) and the cable gets stressed on the fairlead. some have used a micro switch on the uplift to stop the push tube from over loading the cable.

An extension with a snatch block works great.

I'd say you get a A+ on research.

I rally want a limit switch and I have also thought about looking into putting a heavy pull spring between the cable hook and the plow lift point for a little give just in case.

I've seen the snatch block setups and may do something along those lines the larger diameter the pulley the cable runs thru the better.

at work we snapped two lift cables on a grit hoist and it happened instantly and without warning, the clam shell had spun a little and missed the safety switch and the operator at the time just kept running it up.
The cables were a bit old and weathered and unoiled but running them to far up into the drums just destroyed them.

I have a bad cold right now but am going on 12 day vacation starting at 2pm today and will be ordering the other winch mount and the warn fairlead and run out to get the strap.

Last edited: