New Skat Kitty Owner Questions

I recently picked up my first mini bike - a 1967 Skat Kitty. I was hoping to find a Cat Eliminator but this one kind of fell into my lap. I didn't realize the bike was sought after until I joined this site. The bike runs and is mostly complete. It is missing the kill switch and does not have the original lights or gas tank straps. It is equipped with a foot brake, but it is different than the one that appears in the "D Series" owner's manual. My bike is equipped with a disc brake mounted on the jack shaft. The brake pedal is in front of the foot peg, not behind it like in the manual. Is that the correct location? If so, it is very awkward to operate. I suspect that I not have a "D Series" Skat Kitty. Was there a manual specific to this disc brake variant? If so, I would like to find a copy.
I'm dropping it off at a small engine shop tomorrow to get the Tecumseh tuned up.

Can we see some pictures please?
Will do. I'm going to upload some pics this week. Just got it back after having the carb rebuilt. Now it idles great and runs strong, though at wide open throttle, it does seem to surge a little. The carb may need some minor tweaking. The original kill switch was missing, so I put one up on the handlebars. It makes it easier for my young son to operate, and I can switch it to its original location when I find the correct type.

I have 3 skat kittys and all have the brake pedal behind the foot peg. Also all have a drum brake which is part of the wheel assembly. I have not seen a disc brake set up as you described. The jackshaft was done two ways. It is my understanding that the early ones were part of the molded frame whereas the later ones were bolted to the frame. There were variations but a lot of changes were made because original parts were not to be found. Are you running a tech side popper motor? Good luck with her--a great bike.ps the light kit was an option as was the side car, deck mount for a boat etc. Straps can be made. Shut off was a button that pushed down on the shut off tab mounted on engine by spark plug---i doubt you will ever find the button--i never have, cheers bill.

I have a couple pics of my Skat Kitty, but I am unable to post them to the site. I am unsure why the posting of the pics are denied. It says: "new posts are limited by the number of URLs they may contain...". Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

There were five different series of Skat Kittys; A(1963, 2 stroke, rare, possibly just 100 or 200), B(1963-1964, went 4 stroke as early as ser.#300, some were black, serial # on lower frame arm), C(1965, year, series and serial# stamped above kickstand hole), D(1966, year, series and serial # stamped above kickstand hole), and E(1967-1971, serial number stamped above kickstand hole).

There were at least four different brake pedals. Some were ahead of the peg and some behind. On the E, the pedal was sheet metal and ahead of the peg and it used the countershaft sprocket as a disc brake rotor. You have an E-Series, like the picture attached below. Notice the brake pedal, how the brake rod slants upward toward the countershaft spocket and how there is no brake on the rear wheel.

Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with someone who has the kill button.

With a bit more research I want to make a complete table of the serial numbers which correspond with which years and with which model/part changes.

I just posted a (partial) E-Series Operation and Maintenance Instruction and Parts list in the Skat Kitty photo section https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=599 Most things except the disc brake, wheels, brake pedal and tail light are the same as a D-Series.

Headlights are easy to find on ebay. Headlight mounts(part # 297) are hens teeth skat_037.jpg

Last edited:
FINALLY figured it out. Thanks a lot, guys.
Well, here she is:

I think it's mostly original. The decals, head/ tail lamps & gas tank straps are not original. It was missing a kill switch, so I had one put up on the handle bars. The Skat wasn't my first choice; I really wanted a CAT Eliminator or a Sears Roper, but this one kinda fell into my lap. I'm debating whether to hold onto it, or see if I can trade it for a bike that I really want. If I keep it, I was planning on doing a minor restoration. I was only going to repaint the frame, gas tank and wheels as the motor and chain guard still have pretty good color.

Last edited:
Yes, that's an E-Series. It looks very original except in addition to the headlight and tail light, the large rubber covered piece was added on the brake pedal.

What is your frame serial number?

I bought this from a friend who grew up in Chicago. It was missing the primary cover, foot pegs, brake pedal, exhaust joint and exhaust pipe. I've been scratching together parts over the last five years, but I'm still missing the brake pedal, foot pegs, exhaust joint and primary cover. I'm pretty sure parts for a 63/64 Skat Kitty are pretty much lost to history. Did the 1963 come with the Tecumseh h25? It was the engine that was in it.

Last edited:
Sending you a private message.

Yes that is probably the correct engine but you can confirm the engine's production date with its serial number

Last edited: