New Spyder

PatrickCraik

Picked this up today from c/l. Complete and unmolested,just very dirty. Not sure of year,looks like '86 . Paint,seat look original. Rear fender looks thin but tires are oversize. Not sure of the engine,havent checked numbers yet. HS50 runs strong! Thanks

Attachments

Addicted 2 Minis

I think the first digit of the serial number on Tecumseh engines made before 2004 dictate the year the engine was made if I'm not mistaken. In your case the first digit is 9. You still have to estimate the decade but through some common sense it's not that hard to narrow down. This being said, your engine would have been produced in "69","79","89" or "99". Well using the common sense method, we know it's not a "69", the bike is obviously newer than that. We also know that it isn't an "89" as I don't think Ruttman's were still being made then, not to mention I think the recoil is different on the 80's and up models. That narrows it down to "79" which makes a little more sense, heck, I didn't know they were still made past '76-'77, really nice bike by the way.

PatrickCraik

Looks like its a a '79
I think the first digit of the serial number on Tecumseh engines made before 2004 dictate the year the engine was made if I'm not mistaken. In your case the first digit is 9. You still have to estimate the decade but through some common sense it's not that hard to narrow down. This being said, your engine would have been produced in "69","79","89" or "99". Well using the common sense method, we know it's not a "69", the bike is obviously newer than that. We also know that it isn't an "89" as I don't think Ruttman's were still being made then, not to mention I think the recoil is different on the 80's and up models. That narrows it down to "79" which makes a little more sense, heck, I didn't know they were still made past '76-'77, really nice bike by the way.
Thanks,I thought so after doing a little research but could'nt edit my original post. I'm going to clean it up a bit today. I thought I once read a thread here about date coding Ruttman frame tags/decals but cant find it. I think this one did more sitting in a shed or garage than anything,all of the wear parts are still like new,just dirty. I've been wanting this exact bike forever,I've had a short frame Spyder and a junker long frame but could'nt love either of them, although I've regretted selling the short one. I now have grandchildren. Thanks again for the reply

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Date coding Ruttman's is a difficult task, the best way is to look for key items. If it has a foot rest bar, it's probably pre-1970, if the serial tag isn't riveted it was made after 72, I think 73 is when they started sticking them on. To the best of my knowledge If it has an all black seat, it was made around 73-74 and up. I'm not the expert, these are just things I've come across along my Ruttman journey. Still the best way is to judge how clean the bike is and whether or not things look replaced. In your case, the bike is very clean and appears to be all original so decoding the engines serial number is most likely the best way. I'm glad you posted pics of the serial plate and engine serial as well, every bit of information off these survivor bikes builds a better foundation for a more accurate way others can identify what year their bike was made.

Hs50 can’t be a 69 because they didn’t come out til 73 I think.
So 79, 89, 99 etc is more likely. Not sure when they came out with the cyclone recoil but yours has a regular style recoil so it’s older than that.
I’m sure Markus or others will know how to tell the difference between the different decades, I don’t have enough experience for that.
Great looking Hs50 BTW and nice bike too!

PatrickCraik

Cleaned it up a bit,mostly the chrome. The springs still need attention,next year. De greased the frame/plate. Fresh oil,air filter,chain oil and had a fun chilly 1/2 hour ride. What a blast! Goes like a bat outta hell! Still on the governor too. The black paint is dead but they're only original once so a good coat of wax next year and its good for another 40 years. I'm gonna remove and polish the wheels @ that time too. I have a mini power ball and some billet brand polish. That should bring them back. Thanks

Attachments

Addicted 2 Minis

Hs50 can’t be a 69 because they didn’t come out til 73 I think.
Yep, something like that, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what was the last year for Ruttman as I still believe '76,'77 was their last call. It is possible that someone replaced the engine with a newer one a few years down the road but as clean as the rest of the bike is, I really don't think so. The seat is in great shape which means it wasn't ridden all that much, to blow out an engine before tearing up the seat just doesn't happen all that often. Also I noticed the serial tag it has stars in the "R" which is different than most I have seen, find out when they started that and that will help narrow it down a bit too.

PatrickCraik

Its a '79. The 1st digit in the last group of numbers is the year. It cant be a an '89 or a '69. I remember somebody telling me Jim Ruttman made minis well into the 80's. Maybe Mean Dean here? All of the tell tale things convinced me its original,cable ends,fasteners,(no wear on corners) the screws for the air filter housing were never touched and the filter still looked new,I replaced it anyway,I have a bunch of them. The brake band is still like new,zero wear but the iron has surface rust. The engine plate has no scratches from removal or even adjusting the chain. The sprocket is like new,no wear. It wasnt used much,the oil wasnt even that bad and the engine is tight,zero noise

Last edited:

PatrickCraik

Its the best one I've ever found. I caught the ad right after he posted it, made a deal with him over the phone contingent on the engine being good. It turned way better than I than I hoped. Now,If I can only find the same deal on an original Grasshopper.......Hey Im not quite 60 and still love riding 'em

Last edited: