New to me Baja - Input Requested

wait - if he bought it from OldMiniBikes, wouldn't it already have the right belt? Why would they sell a kit with the wrong belt?

]I'm asking because I bought the exact same $69 kit and wondering what belt I should buy.

I really like how the pressure washer motor fits, seems like a better fit than the original. You don't have to worry about burning your Back side.
Ha, true. It came like this, so i dont know any different. i did have to trim the bottom of the TC plate to get it to fit. Also had an issue where the crank was a little marred and messed up for the bolt to go on.

I'll get with OldMiniBikes and see about a new belt. Sadly it doesnt seem like I will be able to ride it anyitme soon, too much going on!

Had some time today and figured out I had the belt on the wrong way. That change made the bike much easier to push. Have a little bit of vibration from the TC not fitting very snugly on the crank shaft. The crank has been chewed up in its previous life, so I need to find a solution. Probably add some typ of washer or something for it to fit on and still have enough of the keyway to use for the TC. Ongoing, but it runs fine and pulls much better than with the old jackshaft setup.

Well, I decided that the vibrations were not going to get better with me trying to bandaid the crank. Picked up a 6.5hp predetor from HF, on sale. Bolted it up tonight. Fits very well and I only had to trim the rear oil plug. Throttle was easy to hook up. Was one bolt short, need one for the crank. Very pleased. Looking forward to take it for a spin this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good choice. You should be very happy with that.

You said that the brakes were still sketchy with the new shoes? Did you get all the rust off the drum?

Doug
Runs real well, lots of power at the top end. Need to wait for this crap weather to get out of here before i can hit the trails.

The brakes are good now, they were a bit of a tight fit in the wheel, so I think they just needed to wear some material off. I can lock the brakes up without issue.

Took it out for a nice run, hit the trails by my house. This thing pulls so great. Very happy with the new motor. Planning on keeping it as is for a while, it's got plenty of power for the trails I ride. I actually dunked it up to the crank twice, still kept on going. Fun AF.

Well, I decided that the vibrations were not going to get better with me trying to bandaid the crank. Picked up a 6.5hp predetor from HF, on sale. Bolted it up tonight. Fits very well and I only had to trim the rear oil plug. Throttle was easy to hook up. Was one bolt short, need one for the crank. Very pleased. Looking forward to take it for a spin this weekend.

Hmm? Perhaps you should have gotten the "hemi" Predator, since everyone says it's more powerful out of the box. I mean, I'd like to get one too, but mine's 5 years old and she still runs like a champ. And I've also got electric start on it, and I'm not sure if the tooth flywheel will fit on the new hemis. So I'm just gonna use what I have until she gives out.

Also, did you manage to make pushing the bike easier? I got a Chinese shitbox torque converter too, and its a pain to push the bike.

Last edited:
Maybe, but this thing is plenty powerful for my use. I didn't see the hemi version on thier website and this was on sale. What are the exact differences?

Yes, moving got easier. I think the belt needed to get worn in a bit. Somehow I managed to wear away and lose the bronze idler bushing, it's gone. Need to pick up another one of those. Was looking around on McMaster Carr and they have a correct sized oilite bushing. Was thinking about using that, but wasn't sure if it would cause issue with releasing oil. Might be worth the 5 bucks and try it out.

noseoil

The main difference in the Hemi predator (part # 60363 from HF) is with the flywheel connection. They must have copied the Kohler flywheel for some reason, so the shaft end of the crank has a different profile where the mating surface is ground. When I went to get my motor recently (coupon sale), they had a few versions. I looked at box labels to find the hemi version, but they had 2 or 3 types on the shelf at the same time. No idea why that is, it just is....

Maybe, but this thing is plenty powerful for my use. I didn't see the hemi version on thier website and this was on sale. What are the exact differences?

Yes, moving got easier. I think the belt needed to get worn in a bit. Somehow I managed to wear away and lose the bronze idler bushing, it's gone. Need to pick up another one of those. Was looking around on McMaster Carr and they have a correct sized oilite bushing. Was thinking about using that, but wasn't sure if it would cause issue with releasing oil. Might be worth the 5 bucks and try it out.

Buy the correct bushing from OldMiniBikes. The oilite bushing will self lube and the oil on the belt is a no go. Never heard of a bushing wearing away. If it did the TC cover would be full of bronze dust. No bronze dust means the bushing didn't get reinstalled by accident. Look around the work area and see if it rolled out of site.

Doug

The main difference in the Hemi predator (part # 60363 from HF) is with the flywheel connection. They must have copied the Kohler flywheel for some reason, so the shaft end of the crank has a different profile where the mating surface is ground. When I went to get my motor recently (coupon sale), they had a few versions. I looked at box labels to find the hemi version, but they had 2 or 3 types on the shelf at the same time. No idea why that is, it just is....
Actually the difference is the head with bigger valves and the flat top piston. And you are correct the flywheel will not interchange between a Hemi and a non Hemi.

Doug

Buy the correct bushing from OldMiniBikes. The oilite bushing will self lube and the oil on the belt is a no go. Never heard of a bushing wearing away. If it did the TC cover would be full of bronze dust. No bronze dust means the bushing didn't get reinstalled by accident. Look around the work area and see if it rolled out of site.

Doug
Yeah, it's gotta be somewhere. I have a hard time believing it vaporized.

Actually the difference is the head with bigger valves and the flat top piston. And you are correct the flywheel will not interchange between a Hemi and a non Hemi.

Doug
Fug. So there's no way to get electric start on a Hemi?

I also fixed the problem with my Bug being too hard to push. The brass bushing was creating tons of friction, so I decided to slap some Super Lube dielectric grease (all I had available) inside it and around the shaft where it makes contact, and now she can go forwards and backwards with no problems. But then again, I just used it for about twenty or thirty minutes of riding, so I don't know if the temperature will cheese it eventually. It says on the bottle it will go up to 400°F. If anyone can point me to some heavy duty grease I can use, I'd appreciate it.

Fug. So there's no way to get electric start on a Hemi?

I also fixed the problem with my Bug being too hard to push. The brass bushing was creating tons of friction, so I decided to slap some Super Lube dielectric grease (all I had available) inside it and around the shaft where it makes contact, and now she can go forwards and backwards with no problems. But then again, I just used it for about twenty or thirty minutes of riding, so I don't know if the temperature will cheese it eventually. It says on the bottle it will go up to 400°F. If anyone can point me to some heavy duty grease I can use, I'd appreciate it.
If you want to chase parts and spend about 3 or 4 times the cost of the 212 you can put electric start on it. Its not easy to find the parts but they are available.

Dielectric grease is probably too low a viscosity to not grease the belt. You need dry graphite or something comparable in a dry lube.

Doug

Guess I'll stick with my non-hemi forever. And why is it bad if grease gets on the belt? It will just spin around the T/C without actually moving the bike?

Also, you wouldn't happen to have a close up picture of a Hemi shaft?

Last edited:
Guess I'll stick with my non-hemi forever. And why is it bad if grease gets on the belt? It will just spin around the T/C without actually moving the bike?

Also, you wouldn't happen to have a close up picture of a Hemi shaft?
Me too. It's plenty powerful a d you can always add a jet and exhaust. Anyone k ow what sized jets might be good to pickup? They are real cheap so it figured it can't hurt.

Me too. It's plenty powerful a d you can always add a jet and exhaust. Anyone k ow what sized jets might be good to pickup? They are real cheap so it figured it can't hurt.

You could ask what size the ones from performance kits are and go from there. And I don't see why the kits are so expensive; almost cost as much as the damn engine.